Driver Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankie

Reaction score
Has anyone had any exerience with the Bakup Driver backrest...seriously thinking about ordering one...have a 2009...

thanks for any and all responses..

I am not familiar with that backrest. I have a russell daylong seat with a drivers backrest and it was worth every penny. A little back support goes a long way.

My wife had a Bakup on her R1200CLC and loved it. It was a quality part and attached easily. A backrest makes a world of difference on the long rides

I went with a custom-built modular system for my FJR and Tiger so it could go from bike to bike: Modular Backrest

i have one on my '05. i do find comfort using it on long runs, and i like the fact that i can quickly adjust the angle of the backrest.

for me, it was a bear to install!

the hole in the tang that is drilled for a support screw is way off, by i'd say a strong 3/16". i was able to use a small c-clamp to force the tang back far enough to drop the screw in. forget trying to thread a nut on the bottom of the bolt, no room. i also had to counter drill the hole a bit so the seat would lock in the latch.

you need to remove the existing screws as they are too short, the provided side mount screws need a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the nut as you thread the bolt in, no way to get a meaty finger in for the task, and i don't have meaty fingers.

these reasonns don't make it very convertible, meaning it takes about 10 mins to remove it. there's no way a passenger can sit behind you with the backrest installed and the top case mounted, unless they are very tiny. it is solo use only.

cadman

". . . i do find comfort using it on long runs. . . "
Exactly. And for me, at least, when I'm on a really "long run," I'll be carrying some luggage in addition to what I can get in the side bags and top case I use. In a bag or duffel strapped to the passenger seat. Which makes a terrific backrest, and I enjoy having it there. Then, anyway. Good enough, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: