Drivers/riders backrest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a mate who is keen on the Gen ii FJR but he has a significant back problem. He currently rides a cruiser with a riders backrest and I offered to check out to see if there is a riders backrest to suit the FJR. Seems they are as rare as rocking horse poop. Russel seem the go. Can you any of you give me suggestions on what else is around.

Best regards

Surly

Backrest may be the way to go but i would suggest he try the FJR without a backrest first. The upright seating position on the FJR vs the curved spine "C" shape riding position of the typical cruiser may make all the difference.

FWIW, I only make passenger BRs.
And dang nice ones at that!
smile.png

I'm with the "check out the FJR without a backrest" people. I occasionally suffer from back issues, so does a riding friend (him a lot worse than me). Both of us find that riding the bike reduces back pain, whereas sitting in a chair can aggravate it.

I had spinal fusion surgery. Three levels bolted together and always have had pain in the back on my cruiser. I recently bought the FJR and have no back pain at all. The riding position is perfectly balanced. Not sure how a backrest would even work with the slightly forward lean. I would have him try riding it first and then see. I feel like I have found the most comfortable bike made. That's my 2 cents.