Droid X on the bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don2334

Reaction score
I just finished reviewing the old threads about using smartphones with a gps on the bike. Most of the threads are pre droid x. I am thinking of getting an Aqua box with a ram mount for my phone. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this set up. I am concerned about the vibration and the potential heat inside a sealed box?

Don

I just finished reviewing the old threads about using smartphones with a gps on the bike. Most of the threads are pre droid x. I am thinking of getting an Aqua box with a ram mount for my phone. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this set up. I am concerned about the vibration and the potential heat inside a sealed box?

Don
I would inquire whether an Aqua box with it's touch membrane "Flex-lens" is compatible with the CP's touch screen. Once you're assured of that, you might also consider finding a similar "previously owned" or cheap "unlocked" refurb in the classifieds or online sellers that's compatible with your CP provider allowing you to simply transfer the SIM from the "expensive" CP to it and experiment away with an expendable phone.

I have no way of knowing how a Droid X will fare, however I've ran my IPAQ PDA as a GPS boat chartplotter without a sun shade in an Aquabox with no overheating issues while under the sun all day. I even routed it's USB power cable through a hole I drilled in the Aquabox and covered it with duck tape. Still, fashioning a sun shade out of Coroplast or thin aluminum sheet and sandwiching the shade between the ball and arm assembly and the Aquabox to protect it from the sun is not a bad idea just to keep the sun's glare off the screen.

With vibration, you're going to have to get creative with rubber-like material to act as a pad between mounting surfaces and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have on order from Whitehorse Gear the same set up for the Droid X. I hope sometime in a few days to get the gear. I have a trip soon and am going to use a Tom Tom Rider on another Ram ball. The touch screen will be useless in the Aquabox so will have to put up with that.From what I understand won't work thru the membrane? Will find out soon?

What kind of apps have you used? I like Speedview for mileage and speed. These are just farkle views though.

I like the idea of getting a cheap refurb to experiment with. If the touchpad won't work through the membrane it kind of defeats the purpose of it. I might wait for a review of the set up.

Don

I'm doing this same setup with my iPhone (though I'm waiting for the correct size Aqua Box; it fit in the medium, but not with enough room for the powerlet connector). The touchscreen did not work through the clear membrane (though there are different types of touchscreens, and I don't know which one the Droid has), so I am using the Sena headset to control the iPod functionality via Bluetooth.

My dad rides with a droid x on his vtx 1800. He seems to have no problems with it. He just uses the auto suction cup cradle and permanently mounted (bolted) it to the wind shield. He dies have to take it down if it rains.

My dad rides with a droid x on his vtx 1800. He seems to have no problems with it. He just uses the auto suction cup cradle and permanently mounted (bolted) it to the wind shield. He has to take it down if it rains.

The Droid will not work behind the membrane. The screen is heat sensitive. Try holding your finger just off the screen but not actually touching it. It will activate sooner or later. The Droid will not work with gloves, or anything else covering your fingers. Pisses me off sometimes.

Don
I see that the GPS aspect is part of what you're seeking. If all you want is to have a street nav device, you might consider simply getting a cheap dedicated GPS car navigation unit with a Resistive matrix touchscreen panel that's pressure activated and would work under the Flex-lens membrane and wire it up to a BT transmitter or plug it into the AUX input to your comm system to hear the street names called out. Your phone can be kept safe elsewhere in your toolkit for other duties. The FD-220 GPS sold on Amazon is certainly cheaper than a second hand smartphone, plus the fact that the FD-220 is not reliant upon cell towers.

Don
I see that the GPS aspect is part of what you're seeking. If all you want is to have a street nav device, you might consider simply getting a cheap dedicated GPS car navigation unit with a Resistive matrix touchscreen panel that's pressure activated and would work under the Flex-lens membrane and wire it up to a BT transmitter or plug it into the AUX input to your comm system to hear the street names called out. Your phone can be kept safe elsewhere in your toolkit for other duties. The FD-220 GPS sold on Amazon is certainly cheaper than a second hand smartphone, plus the fact that the FD-220 is not reliant upon cell towers.

Gunny everything he said. For the longest time I used a Garmin 265WT. It is a car GPS, but it did everything I needed it to do. When it rained, I protected it with Subway Sandwhich bags...You know, the ones they give you your sandwhich in. They are long, so they tie farther down the cord, they have enough clear space to be able to see the GPS, and they are pretty sturdy so they can be reused. Cheap and effective. Like me.

I use Google Nav on my Evo and it works fine for me. Although I cant really touch the screen when Im riding, typically I just put on the address and put the phone back into my holster until Im there. I generally already have an idea where Im going, so just use the voice prompts for details. I have my Evo paired with my Scala Rider 2 headset.

YMMV though. It depends if you need visual also I guess.

I'm trying this setup on my wife's SV when her Evo. In setting this up, I have discovered that there are different kinds of screens. Some are pressure-sensitive and work great through the membrane. Some sense electrical discharge, like the Evo and are iffy at best. THe iPhone is like this ... dunno what the Droid X is. The thing is, the membrane itself is sort of rubbery and doesn't easily allow slidding, especially with gloves. The Google Nav relies on pinching/expanding. This is OK for our use, as she just wants to listen to podcasts and be able to pause it (i.e. a one-button deal).

Another thing is that, while it works, the Google Nav app is sort of crummy. It doesn't have a pleasant voice, volume control is tricky, it's not easy to navigate the menus with gloves on, requires a cell signal to work, can't pre-create routes, use multiple waypoints, etc. I use it when I am traveling for work (in a car), but for recreational use the Zumo is unbeatable. It does one thing very well (and the crappiness of the MP3 player is tolerable).

There is also the issue of battery life. You will NOT be able to run Google Nav with GPS, bluetooth, and data connections more than a couple hours, so you'll need to rig up a way to charge the phone. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've have a b*tch of a time figuring out how to charge my Epic on the bike. There's something about the FJR's electrical signal that barely puts a charge into the phone.

If there's one thing I have learned in my short 38 years, it is that you get what you pay for. If you can afford it, get the Zumo and avoid all the crappiness that comes with trying to make the wrong tool work. Consider all the things you will need (aquabox, hard wiring, touchscreen issues, volume control, etc) vs. a polished solution and in my opinion, it's worth a couple hundred more dollars for the Zumo.

I feel pretty comfortable with a layer of protection that has worked "so far"

Daily nice weather or even damp or light rain, my Iphone (previously a Google phone) remains in a quality daily use OtterBox commuter case. Which allows the enough airflow to not be concerned with overheat.

Protection level #2 is a Squaretrade warranty on the phone. That covers the phone the entire 2 year contract, even if I break the phone it will only cost me a $50 deductible to replace. Water intrusion included. Cost me approx $90, but FAR better than "Apple Care". Squaretrade will warranty most all devices. (No affiliation), Google discount codes.

If it starts to Pour down rain... Typically it is now cool enough to enclose the phone in my map pouch of the tankbag. I can still see it if necessary, more importantly to me, I still have tunes.

I also have a Nuvi 765 will all the features of the Zumo (minus the waterproofing and glove friendly screen), at a fraction of the cost. If it is pouring out, a Ziplock baggy keeps the Nuvi dry ;)

I got my Aqua Box today and have done a little playing with the Droid X. First it fits the box well with the hard cover I use every day. It comes with 3 different thicknesses foam pads. The Droid DOES NOT work with the membrane supplied with the Aqua Box,as noted thru a few posts. But did find removing the membrane and using the right foam shim a great fit and secure. Of course water proof is gone but mounts great. I guess it does not matter cuz I always have gloves on and ain't going to cut the tip out of my gloves.

The other problem is keeping it charged, I can't get a cord into the unit thru the medium sized box. I guess a spare battery or going without the unit. My Tom Tom Rider refuses to power up since the weekend and now I am up do do creek with the big trip coming soon. New edition _ sharper tooth pik equals Rider reset powered the unit-now to figure why needed reset?

The road will prove and separate the real stuff. I got my stuff from Whitehorse Gear and got good customer service!

My box has one too but the connection to the Droid X is on it's side and all my power supplies have a straight plug. The closeness of the case prevents coming in thru the back and making the turn to the input. I am going to explore a way to power. I purchased an extra battery in case I want use right away and get time to figure. I have put it in the dash box and charged the unit going down the road and can run Blue Tooth.

During dry runs I am going to leave the membrane off and use it, although no finger use tooling down the road anyways. The T.T Rider will answer the phone -I hope- if need be.

Good thread, friends. I've been daydreaming about putting my Sprint HTC Evo on the bike. Besides the nav, I enjoy Pandora internet radio. Gives me a pause if the touch screen won't respond, however.

I came across this Arkon SM032 handlebar case. It just might work for the Droid X touchscreen. Clicky.

sm032.jpg

I have been researching the Aqua boxes and found a Med/large at ram mounts that looks large enough to allow room for the charging cable. I also ordered a u-clear hbc100 communicator from RevZilla. I hope to be able to set up the phone to use voice dialing along with the other vunctions so I won't have to use the touchpad at all. I will do a review when everything gets here.

Don