dropped my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDFJR

Reaction score
Hello,

I dropped my FJR at a parking lot a week ago. Right side rear view mirror is broken and the fairings also has a few minor scratches. The side case scratch is very visible. The bike is black. Can anyone suggest what to do to buff the scratches?

Thanks!

Hello,
I dropped my FJR at a parking lot a week ago. Right side rear view mirror is broken and the fairings also has a few minor scratches. The side case scratch is very visible. The bike is black. Can anyone suggest what to do to buff the scratches?

Thanks!
I can tell you what DOESN'T work. Don't use any kind of fine abrasive. It will take the shiny plastic and give it a dull appearance, even after waxing. It really shows up in bright sunlight too. I used a very fine pumice powder in baby oil on a q-tip (did someone say anal?) to try and buff out a 1 inch scratch on my top case. Didn't work worth a hoot. You can still see the scratch (though not as well) and the buffed area looks dull.

Still wondering what might work. Right now I'm practicing my Zen...if I ignore it, it will go away...ummmmmmmm. I have many years of Zen practice to go yet it seems.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Thanks!
Why not just wait until you get some bigger scratches and get the case painted? It's just a matter of time ;)

Sliders are your friend......

I dropped mine in Fort Bragg on tuesday and all I got was a very small scratch on the side bag....

I was tired thats my excuse.

R

IF you can feel the scratches with you fingernail then they are too deep to polish. Take it to a local body shop and see what they can do. I had some color sanding done on my bike after a friend went at it with some polishing compound. Also you could talk with Alex on the forum and ask him to make you some custom stickers that would cover the scratches. MAybe a sheet of black or something reflective. Maybe even something with the Yamaha logo. I am quite fond of checkers myself.

Good luck.

Meguiar's Scratch X. The stuff works. My fairing dropped onto the gravel (forgot the last screw I was taking out was the last screw) and it got dinged in several places. My nephew scraped his shoe across my tank and scratched the tank. The guys at the dealership, when putting my bike together, scratched the bike all over. I used scratch x to get them all out.

https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307

Most autoparts stores (advance, autozone) and walmart carry it. It is safe for the the finish - last year I scratch x'ed all the fairings and plastic parts by the seat. Then I polished and waxed it...why not? It was snowing outside...

This is an inexpensive attempt you should look at first before taking it to a professional. Don't be dismayed if the first attempt doesn't work. I had had to try about 10-15 attempts on my tank (about 20-30 mins) to get the scratch off my tank that my nephew left for me as a present.

The FJR paint is soft and though this means it scratches easy it also means it is easier to repair by amateurs.

First wash the surface very well. Use a round spong thingy (used to apply wax) to apply the scratch x. Then use an old cotton tee shirt to clean off the scratch x. When you apply the scratch x you need to work it in with a bit of elbow grease for about a minute or so. The instructions say to not let the product dry, but I have (not by choice) and it came right off with a little more elbow grease.

The stuff probably won't remove all scratches known to mankin but it takes care of the minor ones.

Last edited by a moderator: