Dual Star grip kit ??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

road runner

Reaction score
Hey Gang

I ordered a Dual Star grip kit and they recommended using there heat shrink tubing on left bar because the aluminum bar will soak up to much heat. They say it is only required on aluminum bar.

Is it really needed ? If so, will I need to put a right grip on left side because of bigger diameter ? btw I'm using BMW grips.

I hope the link to Dual Star works.

Thanks A.C.

I put a right grip on my left bar atop the shrink tube, and get good, even heat with the symmetrical Kimpex heating elements, so yeah, I'd recommend going with the same setup.

Sounds like I better use the heat shrink & I better order another right side grip. Time to call guru Glen again.

Thanks for the feed back :) A.C.

Applogies if this is a dumb question but how/why would the LHS bar be different from the RHS :blink:

Also if you're putting the heatshrink on the LHS bar than why not the RHS too, would that not help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Applogies if this is a dumb question but how/why would the LHS bar be different from the RHS :blink: Also if you're putting the heatshrink on the LHS bar than why not the RHS too, would that not help?
throttle tube provides insulation

throttle tube provides insulation

What if it's a G2 (aluminum) throttle tube?

Dual Star recommended that with the G2 throttle tube you use heat shrink on the left side bar with a right side grip --and-- a clutch (left) heating element on the throttle tube. This compensates for the different heat transfer of the metal G2 compared to the plastic of the stock throttle tube. I installed my grips yesterday and the heat was even. Strange thing-The high and low wire colors were reversed, my low was high-my high was low :blink:

I have also heard that the knurling on the G2 can damage the heating element. I used a paste of epoxy resin thickened with microballons to fill in the knurling. I masked off everything except for the knurling and spread the paste using an old credit card. Remove the tape and sand before the the epoxy is compleatly cured, it is much easier. Others have used tape or sanded the points off of the knurling, your call.

I just installed Dual-star grip heaters, I used the shrink tube and I was able to use the existing (BMW) left grip. it was slightly fatter but I don't notice it.

BTW the grips work great! I rode from Northern California to Seattle, Wa and back last week. never even had to use the high setting.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, if I had to do it over again I would use the shrink wrap on the clutch side. It's strange, but while riding the heat seems pretty even to me. But, if I take my gloves off and feel both sides, the clutch side is cooler. These heaters are without doubt the best $30 I've spend on the bike.

I just installed Dual-star grip heaters, I used the shrink tube and I was able to use the existing (BMW) left grip. it was slightly fatter but I don't notice it.BTW the grips work great! I rode from Northern California to Seattle, Wa and back last week. never even had to use the high setting.
fJROB,

I just ordered the Dual-Star grip heaters, and the guy told me to make sure I buy two sets of grips, since using the heatshrink would require using a RHS grip on the cluch side. I assume that is definately the case for the OEM grips.

Are your BMW Grips (the BMW Sport Grips?), just wanted to make sure since that's what I'm planning on using.

63828590-M1.jpg

JamesK

You don't have to buy 2 sets you can buy 2 left grips from Guru Glen @ FJRGoodies. They're not on site just call and ask for Glen.

Also Dual Star told me to install a left side heater on both sides with G2 throttle tube. Read rfulcher post on this tread 4 back.

A.C.