Duffle for Givi V46

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
As I begin to set-up my bike for LD rides, I was looking for a duffle to fit in the Givi V46 top box. The dimensions for one from L. L. Bean seemed to be a close match and had the added benefit of having rounded shoulders on the top of the duffle bag. I ordered a medium Adventure Duffle from the L. L. Bean site (Clicky Thingy) and got it last week. Today, I stuffed it w/ a sleeping bag to puff it up to full size and tried it for fit. It fits pretty good but had trouble closing the lid until I removed the red "document holder" that came in the lid w/ the Givi. Now the lid shuts easily.

I don't think I could stuff the duffle to "the max" and close the lid as easily but that's OK w/ me. I'm satisfied w/ the fit. Here's a trio of pictures taken in the garage this am.

Duffle.jpg

Duffle2.jpg

Duffle3.jpg

Pretty cool. Is there any easy way to remove (or access) that document holder? It seemed pretty hard to open last time I tried (therefore useless anyway).

@TC

The friction fit at the top of the document holder is difficult to open but once open, it only has 2 screws at the bottom holding it in. And, I agree, it's pretty useless anyway.

Thanks for the info...a good tip; yeah, +1 about the document holder (...and I don't think there will be much of a market for them on Ebay :rolleyes: )

So that red thing inside the cover of the Givi is a document holder.... I have the V46 still in the box waiting for Santa to actually give it to me before I install it but I did open it up and put the blue lid on it. I assumed the red thing was there to stiffen the lid to support the top rack. I would prefer a little extra space instead of a document holder if that's the only purpose it serves. Did you notice any difference in the stiffness or strength of the lid with the document holder removed?

@ Sickdog

Thanx for the clicky to the Givi V46 specific bag liner. For me, it's too late as I'm pretty satisfied w/ my L. L. Bean duffle bag...I even like the gold color! I'm sure others will appreciate the link if they're looking for a V46 bag liner.

@ Geezer

I haven't noticed any difference in stiffness of the Givi lid w/ the "document holder" removed...but then, I haven't checked either. However, from what I've read on this forum, removing the document holder from the Givi is a pretty standard practice.

Can others confirm that?

P.S. to Geezer

I think you'll find that the installation directions for the Givi pretty much "suck." So, when you go to install, take your time and be careful not to drop any small parts into the inards of the FJR...don't ask me how I know this. And, when you finish the install, you'll have a small, black cubic "thingy" left over and will not find it anywhere in the Givi install directions. Just ask here and most everyone can tell you where to stick this small "security device"...someone even posted a picture when I asked for help w/ it.

Edit: Anti-Theft Cap Picture

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks brazos, I'll take my time with the install and make sure I don't stick the plastic thingy in the wrong place ;) .

I found the instructions for swapping out the top cover pretty bad so I was not expecting the actual installation to be documented much better. Also, I read on the forum recently that someone had their Givi rack starting to rust after about a year so I plan on spraying it with a good quality black paint before installing it. I don't really like the silver color and I don't think my friend who does powder coating can fit the rack in his oven.

Geezer, fyi...I couldn't find a local place to do powder coating so I just spray painted my Givi rack as well...2 coats black and 2 coats clear. Looks OK.

I was too impatient to send the rack off somewhere to get powdercoated.