Dunlop D220's anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipp

Reaction score
I am curious who is and or has run Dunlop D220 tires. How did you like them, how was the mileage, you get the drift. thanks in advance!

Running them now. I don't get too crazy in the corners since I am still learning, but they handle pretty well for my style and so far, after 5500 miles are holding up fairly well. I think they will outlast the Bridgestone's that came with it.

Not much, but what I have so far.

Bryan

D220s are sooooo five minutes ago!

:)

Good tire, short life span on a Feej.

RoadSmart better choice, unless you find D220s on super special closeout sale.

D220s are sooooo five minutes ago! :)

Good tire, short life span on a Feej.

RoadSmart better choice, unless you find D220s on super special closeout sale.
Yeah.....this is why I ask. I found them for $186 a set shipped (120/70 front and 180/55 rear). I had problems with headshake on my old FJR using non bridgestone tires and this is why I figured I would ask the experts here at FJRforum. I know that D220's are older tires, that does not worry me. Overall performance and any problems using them on the FJR is what I am trying to find out. Thanks for your input.

My experience with the D220s is that they seem to have a pointy - triangular - profile, or it feels that way on my Feej. The bike tends to wander (no, it's not just me) and hunt around a lot, though tip-in is very light and quick, more so than I am used to and want. Only have about 1,000 miles on this set so can't comment on wear but I'm betting it is only average, maybe worse. I'm comparing these to the Michelins, Bridgestones and Avons I've run. My current preference is still the Avons. No matter what, though, I can't get a rear to go past 5,000 miles, but then I ride two up a lot, fast a lot, aggressively a lot.

I went through 2 sets of them on my last bike, a '99 Triumph Sprint ST. I liked them.

The Triumph came with Bridgestones (BT057 I think) originally. Then I tried the more sporty Dunlop 207s but didn't get much life out of them, so went to the 220s. To be honest I couldn't tell the difference handling wise over the 207s, and not much lifewise either. Around 6,000 miles a set.

But good handling and good price. I would have used them again.

I went through 2 sets of them on my last bike, a '99 Triumph Sprint ST. I liked them.
Yes, I liked them as well. Outstanding tire, save for the abysmal rear treadlife.

Note that the RoadSmart has *replaced* the D220 in the Dunlop line, though there are still readily available until stock runs out.

Moving thread to it's proper home....

I am currently running my first set of D220s. I have about 2000 miles on them.

They are FANTASTIC!!!! :yahoo: :clapping:

Grip is incredible. Confindence inspiring. I am leaning the FJR over more than I ever have.

I am assuming that since grip is so great, the life of the tire won't be. Unlike Big Sky's claims above, I find that the D220's front profile is much more round than either the Avon Azaros, or the Storms. Turn-in is slower (and completely freaked my ass out for about 30 miles), but once used to them, they are consistent and grippy.

I don't know anything about the RoadSmarts, but I am really bummed they are discontinuing these tires. Except for the unkown of tire life, these are my favorite tire so far.

Latest posts