Dunlops D220s suck

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
I know tires and tire choices are largely a matter of personal preference (if this thread is posted in the wrong place, admin please move). But it's also a matter of personal experience. Here's my most recent:

My FJR ate a rear Dunlop D220 in under 3,000 miles. The front also has a flat strip down the middle.

The rear appeared to be wearing pretty fast, but I had no idea just how fast. When I left my house Friday morning, I estimated the tire still had 1,000 or 1,500 miles left in it (we were planning 850 miles). 500 miles out on the three-day tour and the metal belts were showing through the middle! And there was still tread left! This tire gave absolutely no warning it was about to go tits up. I noticed the trouble Saturday night, after all the local shops were closed. I limped it 60 miles south on Sunday morning (solo, since I had my wife ride pillion on my son's GSX R750, rather than on this dangerous cripple) to get a new tire at a Harley shop that was open - a Pirelli at $202, plus $40 mount and balance. That allowed me to finish the last 120 miles home without my nerves jangling constantly.

For the record, I am fairly obsessive about maintaining proper tire pressure and never do burnouts, though I do use all the available power occasionally. I keep the rear at 40-42 lbs. and never run it high or low. Most of these miles were done in cool weather - Oct. and April in AZ, May and June in Montana. All but 1,000 miles were two-up with bags loaded.

Also for the record, I've never gotten more than 5,500 miles from a rear tire, and that was the OEM Battleax. Michelin PRs have been poor, the Avon Storms a little better but with excellent handling characteristics.

Needless to say, I will not purchase Dunlop again. I had a similar experience with them a few years ago. I consider this tire highly deficient, even dangerous and beyond that, a very poor value. Back to the Avons for me.

Big Sky

Big sky - Like fuel mileage, with tire mileage YMMV. I had Dunlop D205's (predecessor to the D220's, which I never used) for a few tire changes. The D205's claimed to also have a harder band of rubber in the middle. They did great on my BMW K1100. I commuted mostly and got anywhere from 10K-12K miles out of them. Granted the one with 12K was in bad shape and went flat on me luckily only a block from home.

I currently have a B21 on the rear and just purchased a new Dunlop RoadSmart for the front, as the Avon that was on the front cupped so severely it vibrated me to numbness. The Avon had at least 8K on it before I traded it in and the tread was great except where it cupped. The rear B21 has about 5K on it and looks like new, well it's getting a slight flat spot in the middle, but no biggie.

I'm not sure what to say. I don't use the power of the FJR like a tractor at every stop, and I only pour it on when I need it, usually rolling it on. I would have to say you're rather hard on tires period. Riding style, how you use the power, etc, all factors in. I would start being far more conservative on your estimating of tire wear, and just be ready to buy tires every few thousand miles.

I'm with you ,they suck. I only got 4500 on a rear and went elsewhere. Currently running BT 021's front and rear. The front after 1000 miles shows slight wear on the sides but the rear is perfect. Less vibration too. I like them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I REALLY like my Dunlop Roadsmarts. Excellent handling (no matter the weather), and at least 50% more life than the front Bt-021.

Dunlops 205's and 220's were all I ran on my R1100RS. Loved 'em. The had great feel, were sticky and lasted 9 to 10 K miles consistantly. When I got the FJR two years, I put 220's on as soon as the stock tires were shot. I quickly found out that my beloved 'Lops juist did not work on the FJR. The road feel I had on the BMW became a constant, unsettling, squirm. Hated 'em. Still looking for a favorite tire for the FJR.

Paul Peloquin

IBA #333

Monmoth OR

Dude, you had the wrong tire for the task. dunlop D220 are great tires but they are basically one notch under the street legal track tires (D208; try these! I only got 2300 miles out of the 208's but they were a gas on the street). You are riding them two up in AZ on sport tires? Sorry man but AZ is hot in the spring, I lived in Tucson for 5 years+.

I think what you are looking for is more of a distance touring tire. Sorry I dont know anything about those but the PR2's are supposed to be a nice balance between grip and longevity. I have a pair now and love them!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't know what the heck is wrong with all you folks cause the D220s absolutely ROCK!!!

I am running my first set and the amount of grip is simply amazing. Totally confidence inspiring. I am hitting extreme lean angles all the time without any drama.

Now, since the grip is so awesome, I would not expect the normal life I get out of other tires (10-11k for a rear), but right now I have 4300 miles on them and looks like I have lots left to go. I like this tire so much I am bummed they no longer make them. I will try the Roadsmarts, but that tire will have a lot to live up too compared to the D220s.

Well, I don't know what the heck is wrong with all you folks cause the D220s absolutely ROCK!!!
I am running my first set and the amount of grip is simply amazing. Totally confidence inspiring. I am hitting extreme lean angles all the time without any drama.

Now, since the grip is so awesome, I would not expect the normal life I get out of other tires (10-11k for a rear), but right now I have 4300 miles on them and looks like I have lots left to go. I like this tire so much I am bummed they no longer make them. I will try the Roadsmarts, but that tire will have a lot to live up too compared to the D220s.
I am with you SkooterG...........I have 3K on my set and they still look new! and the grip......I can bank it wayyyy over without fear. I actually scraped both pegs the other day. You can't beat the price. I am going to try and buy another set before they disappear. I does feel a bit squirly on the highway, but I am not sure if that's just wind buffeting the saddlbags, suspension, or the tires. I will see when a different set goes on. Sorry they aren't working out for you big sky.

I know tires and tire choices are largely a matter of personal preference (if this thread is posted in the wrong place, admin please move). But it's also a matter of personal experience. Here's my most recent:

My FJR ate a rear Dunlop D220 in under 3,000 miles.

3000? WOW! I had a set on my VFR (yeah, i know, it's lighter and doesn't have as much power) and i got 11k out of em. amazing to me (not probably a big deal to the rest of ya), it was the first set i ever edged out. got rid of em cause they were cupping but still had a lot of mileage left. on a sidenote, i had Avon Azaros on the Busa and got 13k out of em before i got rid of those. and that includes a track day scrapping body parts after putting 11k on em. still had tread, but they were blued and wouldn't stick much in the cold out here. too unsafe. i was almost thinking of getting d220's for the FJR, but maybe they can't handle the power? still learning out here so take my $.02 and use it for what it's worth.

not much. heeheeee :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know tires and tire choices are largely a matter of personal preference (if this thread is posted in the wrong place, admin please move). But it's also a matter of personal experience.
Big Sky
I ran Dunlop D220 front,,and D205's back ,on my Kaw. Concours. 1st set I got 14000+ ,2nd set 12000 + ,,just spooned on my 3rd set,, good grip ,, good wet ,, no problems...

Only have 1800 on the FJR's Bridgestone BT021 ,,,, starting to show wear and cupping on the front...

they do seem to hold the road great,, haven't been in the wet yet,,,

The FJR seems to be hard on tires like my CBR 1000 F it ate tires,, the very best I got was 8000 miles on a set... :unsure:

The wear in the center portion of a front tire is mostly a function of the rider's braking habits. When not braking the center portion shouldn't wear all that much.