Dynojet Wideband Commander A/F monitor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a real-time AFR reading may be interesting, but it's useless information if you have no way to tune the fuel injection. If you're going to do your own fuel injection tuning based on AFR readings, you'd probably want to look at the new Power Commander V combined with the optional (i.e., additional cost) AutoTune module or the Motty AFR Tuner. Both of these options will automatically adjust the fuel injection to achieve the desired AFR values that you configure for various throttle position and engine RPM combinations, so there's really no need to see a real-time AFR reading. The Motty has a data logger built into it so you can see a log of various things such as desired AFR, actual AFR, RPMs, throttle position, etc. I may be wrong, but I believe that the Power Commander setup requires yet another optional module to get data logging.

Having a real-time AFR reading may be interesting, but it's useless information if you have no way to tune the fuel injection. If you're going to do your own fuel injection tuning based on AFR readings, you'd probably want to look at the new Power Commander V combined with the optional (i.e., additional cost) AutoTune module or the Motty AFR Tuner. Both of these options will automatically adjust the fuel injection to achieve the desired AFR values that you configure for various throttle position and engine RPM combinations, so there's really no need to see a real-time AFR reading. The Motty has a data logger built into it so you can see a log of various things such as desired AFR, actual AFR, RPMs, throttle position, etc. I may be wrong, but I believe that the Power Commander setup requires yet another optional module to get data logging.
I understand all the above, however I may be able to pick one up at a good price, and I'm a sucker for a bargain especially if there is a use for it.

I can see a benefit to be able to read live A/F ratios under real riding conditions, especially if tuning without a dyno.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Motty in anyway; I'm just extremely impressed with the device and find that many people do not understand just how much better a self-adjusting system is when compared to manual tuning based on data logging. The following is my attempt to inform so that people can understand what exactly it is that they are choosing between.

I read more about the Wideband Commander and found that it does have data logging capability, but you still do need to purchase a separate fuel injection re-mapping device so that you can apply changes. With the data log, you can look back at an entire ride's worth of data, find the areas with undesirable AFR values, and make small changes to the fuel map according to the exact RPMs and throttle position that was logged at the time. You still have to repeatedly make small adjustments, ride, look at the log, rinse and repeat, until the logged AFR values are where you want them. There's no way to know how big of an adjustment to make to get the desired AFR, because you are making adjustments to adjustment values that alter the original fuel injection signal.

I would find that excessively tedious. How much of a bargain can you get this for (don't forget a Power Commander or similar if you don't have one already)?

The Motty costs about $600 + $50 for a wideband O2 sensor. It also continuously does what you would have to do manually with the Wideband Commander (compare actual AFR to desired AFR and make adjustments). For example, When I first started my bike up with the Motty installed, the AFR at idle started in the high 14's:1, but was adjusted by the Motty down to the configured target of 13.1:1 within 20 seconds. It's like having dyno tech living under your seat continuously perfecting the tune of your bike as you ride, even as conditions change.

Time is money, and imagine how much time you would spend manually tuning the fuel map. In my opinion, any extra cost of a self-adjusting system will quickly pay for itself in time that you get to spend riding the bike and enjoying its continuously perfect tuning. And if it's the actual activity of tuning your bike that you're after, there's still plenty of room for tweaking with the self tuning systems. You can work on perfecting the AFR table so that leaner mixtures are used in cruising/deceleration conditions and richer mixtures during acceleration (use the data logging to identify the portions of the map in use during different conditions). These systems can't decide what AFR is the best in any given situation; they can just get you the exact AFR you want automatically.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Motty in anyway; I'm just extremely impressed with the device and find that many people do not understand just how much better a self-adjusting system is when compared to manual tuning based on data logging. The following is my attempt to inform so that people can understand what exactly it is that they are choosing between.

I read more about the Wideband Commander and found that it does have data logging capability, but you still do need to purchase a separate fuel injection re-mapping device so that you can apply changes. With the data log, you can look back at an entire ride's worth of data, find the areas with undesirable AFR values, and make small changes to the fuel map according to the exact RPMs and throttle position that was logged at the time. You still have to repeatedly make small adjustments, ride, look at the log, rinse and repeat, until the logged AFR values are where you want them. There's no way to know how big of an adjustment to make to get the desired AFR, because you are making adjustments to adjustment values that alter the original fuel injection signal.

I would find that excessively tedious. How much of a bargain can you get this for (don't forget a Power Commander or similar if you don't have one already)?

The Motty costs about $600 + $50 for a wideband O2 sensor. It also continuously does what you would have to do manually with the Wideband Commander (compare actual AFR to desired AFR and make adjustments). For example, When I first started my bike up with the Motty installed, the AFR at idle started in the high 14's:1, but was adjusted by the Motty down to the configured target of 13.1:1 within 20 seconds. It's like having dyno tech living under your seat continuously perfecting the tune of your bike as you ride, even as conditions change.

Time is money, and imagine how much time you would spend manually tuning the fuel map. In my opinion, any extra cost of a self-adjusting system will quickly pay for itself in time that you get to spend riding the bike and enjoying its continuously perfect tuning. And if it's the actual activity of tuning your bike that you're after, there's still plenty of room for tweaking with the self tuning systems. You can work on perfecting the AFR table so that leaner mixtures are used in cruising/deceleration conditions and richer mixtures during acceleration (use the data logging to identify the portions of the map in use during different conditions). These systems can't decide what AFR is the best in any given situation; they can just get you the exact AFR you want automatically.
I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Motty, and share your belief that it may be the best tuner for those wanting to go all out in perfecting the FJR for their own goals.

I'm still in the negotiating stage for the Commander....they need to sell it and I might be interested in buying it.

My question is does any one have any experience with it.

The FJR can be tuned to some extent with the Barbarian Mod adjustments....without a sniffer or dyno run who really knows the result?

My guess is there are a lot of people out there who have an open loop power commander type fuel controller who have not dyno tuned their bike, so they don't know where they stand either.

This direct read method could help determine if it was enough or too much etc.

It also appears to be generic, so it could also easily be switched to another bike, maybe even a carbed model to check jetting change results.

I'm even having visions of it installed on my 78 CB750 to check my carb settings.

I may be old school, but it seems to be a step ahead of running it wide open, shutting it down and pulling the plugs to see where you are?

Keep us up to date on the results of your Motty tuning progress.