EBC Brakes/Wave Rotors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
Figured I start this thread based on a discussion elsewhere about needing more brakes. I did a search but didn't come up with too much. Don't think this is a NEPRT thing yet.

Not much on the EBC search

EBC/Galfer

Clicky

Group buy

Clicky

Enough time should have elapsed since this group buy that folks can give some feed back. Lots of discussions about the EBC pads working great but eating up the rotors, etc.

So, are the wave rotors, what ever the manufacturer, worth the price of admission? Do the EBC pads (which I've used on other bikes in the past with great success) eat rotors, whether stock or wave? Are SS brake lines available for the Gen II's (I think they are). Has anybody tried them? Are they too, worth the price, and installation hassle?

What is the technical advantage of the "wave"? Or is it a marketing thing to suck us in?

Have massive infusions of $$$$ into the braking system improved the braking much, like in many feet shorter stopping distance, or is it more of a "feel" thing? Am I going to spend $2000 on brake stuff to stop five feet sooner, with or without the ABS?

Do we need a poll?

What is the technical advantage of the "wave"? Or is it a marketing thing to suck us in?
They're ever so slightly lighter, but basically it's a marketing thing. It's there to attract the guys that would put NOS energy drink in their GSXR and the rest of the "it's newer/different so it must be better" crowd. I have one on the rear of my SV-650, but that's because it was cheaper than my warped stock rotor.

Think about it. It's some scalloping around the edge. How the hell is that going to improve braking?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've wondered about that myself.

As far as I know, braking is a matter of surface contact area and friction. Anything that reduces the contact area or total friction, reduces the oveall braking for a given pressure.

Then there's the issue that braking is energy converted to heat - with less metal, the disks should heat up more, though there are those that say that the scallops, cuts and other artistic things people do to disks these days allows more air in to provide cooling - maybe it's a wash, maybe it's hogwash, I wouldn't know.

Speaking with Mondak Motorsport 2 weeks ago I was counseled to go with and ordered Carbone Loraine pads to replace my fronts and was told that if and when I need new disks they are worth about $100 each.

But it seems like it is a bit late for a 2009 group buy. What happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
I put Galfers on my Busa because they have been tested by many Hayabusa riders to resist warping with HH pads. The factory discs didn't hold up to the extended braking sessions on the track with EBC HH pads. The FJR has good bite with the factory sintered pads. They have more initial bite once they get hot, but cold they are pretty good. It could be better though.

I don't have the wave rotors myself but I've understood from others talking that there is more to it than just an artistic thing to do. What I recall being talked about had more to do with creating more "leading edges" that increase the braking power. I'm going straight from memory on this so please forgive me if I'm butchering what was actually written. As I recall it was said that slots and/or holes in discs help with that as well in addition to providing cooling. The scalloped or "wave" edge apparently does something similar.

Shameless Bump

OK, you guys are back from WFO. Surely some of you have opted for the wave rotors, at least as a fashion statement :D