electrical connection problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mept

Reaction score
I have a new to me 04FJR with no controller for heated grips(supposedly burnt out by previous owner). The grips are taped into an wire coming from the left housing about half way to the fork. Also another connection is made with something coming from the underside of the right housing by the right grip. Since from my searches on this subject only seam to show that most people tend to tap in behind one of the side panels out of the elements, I must think this guy did something stupid or just easy. I want to install a heat-troller in the left housing, but I am not sure what the best way to go about this would be since I don't know what he used in the first place. Also, I don't know if it would be better to just attempt to return to stock the current set-up, and start with a new connection somewhere consealed with room for a block for adding additional electronics later. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the best way .... return to stock the current set-up, and start with a new connection...for a block for adding additional electronics later.

I agree with this thinking. If previous owner's install doesn't show quality crafysmanship using top-drawer components, then now's the time to undo and correct this.

Try searching for: 'power distribution blocks' Should be plenty of threads on these and their wiring to help you along.

the best way .... return to stock the current set-up, and start with a new connection...for a block for adding additional electronics later.

I agree with this thinking. If previous owner's install doesn't show quality crafysmanship using top-drawer components, then now's the time to undo and correct this.

Try searching for: 'power distribution blocks' Should be plenty of threads on these and their wiring to help you along.
I'm agree with you, considering the fact that heat grips pull out a lot of current, beeter be sure that your connections are done properly.

The Yamaha heated grip kit for Gen I FJRs is a universal kit, could go on a FZ1, R1, or even a Yamaha ATV. It comes with a bag full of 'interrupters' -- tees and taps that 'personalize' the kit for the FJR. The positive power tap lets you tee the front brake circuit, right at the brake switch on the handlebar for power, another lets you tap ground on a wire that is buried in the harness on the left side of frame in front of the gas tank.

The kit was sold as a FJR kit so silly me thought it would be plug 'n play. I found the Japanese instructions to be better than the one in English.

The Heat Troller and the Yamaha controller’s circuits heat the grips electronically the same way. One grip wire (the throttle grip) goes to +12 volts, the other wire bridges over to a clutch grip wire, and then the other clutch grip wire goes to the controller. Both controllers will supply ground to the grip circuit to produce heat. The Yamaha heated grips are fully compatible with the Heat Troller controller. Wire the Yamaha grips in series.

The Yamaha grip controller has a voltage sense circuit that will prevent the grips from heating if the engine is not running and will also shut off the grips if the main voltage drops too low. The Troller will not do either of these things. I suggest you wire your Troller using a headlight relay that is switched on/off by an ignition switched 12 volt source. Power the relay contacts through a fused wire going to your battery. Warm & Safe sells this kind of relay. The other way to go about this is to install a power distribution or TB strip so you will have pre-wired capability for future electrical farkles.

The following is a schematic that I drew of the Yamaha heated grip circuit:

GripSchematic.jpg

The following is one of many different wiring schematics available from Warm & Safe's web site. I've selected the grip heater install that shows the ignition switched relay. The blue and white wires will go to the existing Yamaha heated grips. See the series grip wiring.

[SIZE=8pt]Wiring diagram by Warm & Safe [/SIZE]

Why does this feel so familiar, like we've covered this repeatedly. Hmm, let me go search on +grip +troller and see if anything comes up ;)

Last edited by a moderator: