Electrical Connectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
Looking for a supplier of these types of connectors. This is actually for my '81 Guzzi Police bike that I'm doing some repairs on.

I had a link for an outfit that supplies these but now I can't find it. The same web site also sold a overpriced but extremely useful tool, which looked sort of like a syringe, that collapsed the "ears" of the pins so they can be removed from the plastic fitting.

P9050001.jpg

P9050002.jpg

With the little plastic tabs to hold the connector in place

P9050004.jpg

OK, is this a trick question?

The multiple pin connector that is shown in 3 of those pictures is called a Molex connector. It is extremely common and you can buy pins and bodies at your closest radio shack. The key to making up those connectors is to have a proper Molex type crimping tool. You need to crimp the smaller "ears" onto the stripped, bare wire and then crimp the larger set of "ears" into the wire's insulation to help mechanically support the pin and wire connection from breaking due to vibration. Not that vibration is an issue on a murdercycle... :blink:

The pin extractors you speak of are also available sized for the molex pins. By the way, Molex pins come in various sizes, though the size you show is the most common. Not sure if Rat Shack has them (extractors) or not. The ones that I have (had forever) I bought with my first set of electronic tools back in 1982. I believe they are Klein brand. Good brand for electronic tools, BTW.

The reason that I ask if it was a trick question is the top connector in the 1st picture is different than the others. It is a male "bullet" type connector. Also available at Rat Shack and about a zillion other places. But it doesn't fit into any connector bodies and doesn't need an extractor.

Thanks Fred, that's exactly what I was looking for. Molex was the name I couldn't remember. And with a little help from Google, I found the website, including the special tool

Molex

Yea, I didn't realize the bullet connector was there too, I was focused on the Molex. I got the cool bullet connectors and special crimping tool from HVCcycle when I did my Solex install. WAY better that anything available from Rat Shack or The Zone

Connectors

Another really good supplier for connectors of all types, including these, is EasternBeaver, if you don't mind doing mail order.