Electrical mystery / brake lights '06 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Weygandt

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I hope I can explain this in a way that's useful and clear. Bear in mind I'm no sort of tech and probably didn't ask the tech at the Yamaha shop enough questions for you to help, but here goes...First, a few weeks ago, I got a new Yamaha battery (BS BT 14B- 4 FA $78.95) installed in this '06 Gen II FJR. After a couple weeks of riding, I discovered my old Skene flashing brake lights ( prev owner) weren't flashing, but instead were on constantly. Then, that my factory brakes lights also weren't working. Took it to the local Yamaha dearship. The brake bulbs were burned out and he replaced. But then found out that they still didn't work as brake lights, but rather seemed to be on as running lights and and only worked as brake lights when the throttle was somewhere faster than idle, and maybe (sorry again) only when in gear and moving. So, he took the Skenes out and replaced the voltage regulator / rectifier (?) which did not solve the problem. As I said, I didn't ask all the Q's, and the tech just left for a vacation till next week. He'd "called Yamaha" ( no idea who he spoke to), and they said they were baffled by the phenomenon and could offer no help. I may be able to get more detailed info from another guy at the shop, but OBV any ideas or experience will be appreciated. TIA and ride safe!

Last edited:
Front brake light switch (subject of a recall) or rear brake pivot sticking and requiring clean and grease. Sounds like brake is on all the time. Also, check that the sockets for the brake lights are clean and not corroded. Make sure that the replacement bulbs were inserted correctly and not turned 180° .

Also remove Skene unit as suggested by @Rogue above.

Front brake light switch (subject of a recall) or rear brake pivot sticking and requiring clean and grease. Sounds like brake is on all the time. Also, check that the sockets for the brake lights are clean and not corroded. Make sure that the replacement bulbs were inserted correctly and not turned 180° .

Also remove Skene unit as suggested by @Rogue above.
Thanx! He took the scenes out of the equation. Sorry I forgot to mention. I'll suggest the 180 degree bulb thing when he returns. I keep thinking it's something stupidsimple. You know...look for the most obvious stupid thing?

Thanx! He took the scenes out of the equation. Sorry I forgot to mention. I'll suggest the 180 degree bulb thing when he returns. I keep thinking it's something stupidsimple. You know...look for the most obvious stupid thing?
Can't remember if the signal light is combined with the running light or the brake light. In any case, the tail light assembly contains two each of two bulb types. The 1156 is a single filament bulb with a single contact on the base and two locating pins which fit into slots in the socket are at equal heights above the base. The other bulb is a dual filament 1157 which has two contacts on the base and the two locating pins are at unequal heights. Theoretically, they will only fit one way in the socket but it just depends on how careful you are with inserting them. I have seen them forced in. See diagram. The two filaments in the 1157 are different wattages as well. (Bulbs push in and turn.)

As I mentioned above, make sure there is no corrosion in the sockets. And check out the front brake switch and the rear brake pivot!!! (Rear brake switch could also be at fault but a sticky pivot is more likely.)

1725584345516.png