Electrifying FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Cleland

Reaction score
Ok I will admit it. I am nerd. I am infatuated with all manner of elecrical gadgets. Laptops, GPS's, Phones, Radar Detectors, Radios, LED's I love em all. My question is this. I want to be able to carry all this stuff with me and plug it in! I am probably going to get a GPS tank bag with a SAE connector for the radio/gps. but I also want to be able to plug some of this stuff in other places as well. I was thinking of placing standard Cig style plugs in BOTH saddlebags, The V46 Topcase, and the glove box in the fairing. I was thinking of using the SAE RV plug style connectors on the backs of the saddlebags and bottom of the topcase so they could be quick disconneted. And a Powerlet Cig plug in the bottom of the glove box for the cell. Has anybody else done this? If so please forward me some pics so I can see what im getting myself into.

Thanks

Joey :nerdsmiley:

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

While your at it buy a new stator to have installed. You will need it. The GenI's don't have as much electrical output as the GenII's.

Happy Nerding,

Dave

Joe - you should get roughly 2.3 million replies. I have two powerlet plugs (and an 05 FJR) 1 in the flat panel above the battery attached directly to the battery - for GPS and battery tender; and one attached to my BlueSea under the rear seat. I hooked it up quickly and keep it stored under the seat, when I need it I just pull it out and let it hang out from the seat - yes, it is that long! I can't think of a reason you can't stick one in all the places you mentioned. The real issue will be using them all at one time, Dave is right about the lower than Gen II output in the 03 - 05s. Have fun!

Electronics, you're probably going ot be OK. You won't have enough juice for super-duper lighting or heated clothing, though.

By electronics, I don't mean you've stuffed the guts of a Proliant DL-780 server in there somewhere! A GPS (or two,) comm gear, radar detector, phone charger, voltmeter.

Patriot to the white courtesy phone, please. Paging Mike . . . . (He's on a ride today, I think, may not be around for a bit.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Electronics, you're probably going ot be OK. You won't have enough juice for super-duper lighting or heated clothing, though.
By electronics, I don't mean you've stuffed the guts of a Proliant DL-780 server in there somewhere! A GPS (or two,) comm gear, radar detector, phone charger, voltmeter.

Patriot to the white courtesy phone, please. Paging Mike . . . . (He's on a ride today, I think, may not be around for a bit.)
I'm back from a 300 mile ride...before picking up my youngest from school, I'll comment...

Do not farkle your bike...no need to farkle...it's great stock...all that crap will only distract...NO ONE SHOULD FARKLE, SPECIALLY EXCESSIVELY