Electronic Glove box lock - seeking advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primate

Reaction score
My glove box will not open. The electronic lock has failed.

I recall a past article concerning repair but my search has

failed.

Yes, it is locked shut and will not open with ignition key engaged.

Seeking repair advice.

BR,

Deet

Is the bike in Neutral?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you take out the black panels (A/B, or maybe C/D, I never remember) you can remove the solenoid that operates the latch. It’s connected with 2 of the silver fasteners and is easy to remove. That’ll at least let you open your box. You can probably install it upside down or the like if you’re not real interested in fixing it. As to fixing it, ya got me! Bad fuze, bad solenoid, bad connection? Good luck.

EDIT - good questions above, is it in neutral? If it isn't, for the sake of your manhood don't tell us! Make up a good story!

Screw that lock. Take this beotch apart. When you locate the electronic actuator, you will notice a small plastic piece that actually does the locking. Trash it.

Screw that lock. Take this beotch apart. When you locate the electronic actuator, you will notice a small plastic piece that actually does the locking. Trash it.
+1

+1 took mine off. It's easy. Just take off the lock assembly (looks like a reverse plunger) and take out the lock pin.

A Good strong push with your thumb and the plastic push rod will bend and your In... The lock on the glove box is worthless, get rid of it.

Primate-
Hate to ask but... it IS in neutral right?

Fiveo
I would bet that the lack of response indicates that it wasn't in neutral. For the benefit of the other FNG's out there pre-06/07 bikes had to be in neutral with the key switched on in order to open the glove box. <_<

For the benefit of the other FNG's out there pre-06/07 bikes had to be in neutral with the key switched on in order to open the glove box. <_<
Uh, not ALL of them... ;)

Took my lock clear out. Got tired of having to turn the key on to get my shades at the local eatery when stopping for a break. Someone wants to steal my earplugs "Gu Hed"

O.K., Thanks to everyone for fast concise response(s). AND YES IT WAS IN NEUTRAL

but thanks for the humor and doubting remarks unless the bike can idle in gear whilst on the sidekick stand.

Yup, I'll remove the plunger.

Again Appreciation to ALL !!!!!

Deet