electrosport stators

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
I have a Electrosport Stator that has been installed for at least 30,000 miles so far no trouble at all. I know some have had problems. Is there any way to know? With this much mileage should I say it works and leave it alone? would a visual inspection tell me anything? I am doing the IBR June 2011 and would hate to have something like this screw thing up. I dont really want to go back to stock because of the low output. Is there anyone other than Electrosport that has good reliability?

I'm sure Alan/Ionbeam will see this post and have some information. If he doesn't see the post, send him a PM.

He knows his stuff.

If it's been running reliably, you felt you installed it correctly, and doesn't give you pause to ride 1000 miles...I would run it for the show.

Remember that the failure of a stator in '07 was probably more related to the crappy install job the dealer did. And other stators that have gone out were often preceded by some warning signs.

I can think of one other that went out while a long ways from home and he ended up with partial ability and, in an emergency, added a car battery to get back home.

If it's been running reliably, you felt you installed it correctly, and doesn't give you pause to ride 1000 miles...I would run it for the show.

Remember that the failure of a stator in '07 was probably more related to the crappy install job the dealer did. And other stators that have gone out were often preceded by some warning signs.

I can think of one other that went out while a long ways from home and he ended up with partial ability and, in an emergency, added a car battery to get back home.
Smitty did the install and it has gone over 25xxx with out a single issue. I use hetaed gear and grips along with lights and have had no issue's.

So I guess this means I'm ready.

If you have a volt meter like a Datel there should be no surprises that leave you beside the road at 1:00 am in the rain ;) Stator failures are almost never a light switch event, they give you warning before hand if you look for it. If you have healthy voltage readings before the event it is almost certain that you can knock out 1k miles with no problems.

Warning signs to watch for:

• voltage very slow to recover after running the starter
  • reduction in maximum voltage, used to be 14.3 volts all the time and now sometimes it never gets over 13.9 volts
  • the fans kick on and the voltage drops to 12.7 volts
  • one day the volt meter reads 14.3, another day it reads 13.4, then another day it reads 14.3 volts again

If one or more of these symptoms starts to show up it is time to locate a replacement stator. The ES stator may continue to work acceptably for a year or more, or it could self-immolate in a few weeks.

The surest way to determine the health of the stator is to use an AC volt meter to read the output voltages of the stator at the stator/RR plug.

Last edited by a moderator: