Emotics ear bud cord flapp'n

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWILKIN650

Reaction score
I hooked up a Quest GPS to the '05 in anticipation of getting lost sometime during SFO later this month. I get left ear instructions from the ear buds and all seems to work as intended even considering my cobbled up install. I took it for a shakedown cruise this morning and note that the thin ear bud cord flaps in the wind between me and the plug into the GPS quite a bit. Is it advisable to take the excess slack out of the cord or in some way secure it so that doesn't beat itself silly? I don't use a tank bag and the GPS is mounted on a stem stand, so the cord has (unfortunately) a long run.

I was thinking of running it down inside my Roadcrafter jacket and out between jacket and pants so that it sort of hangs loose at gas stops and the buds can just be popped back into my ears after gassing up. What's the slick solution? I'm worried about the cord breaking after the 1,759,045th flap in the wind.

Pictures of your setup?

Last edited by a moderator:
I secure mine in the velcro closure outside of the zipper of my riding jacket and at the bottom, run it to my tank bag. It IS sort of a pain, but it works well.

-GSE-

I use a small clip that came with a plastic name badge. I would think you could make one with a small split ring from a fishing supply store and an alligator clip. Put the cord through the split ring and clip it to your tank bag or jacket.

Bill

I've been using the Etymotics for a couple of years now, and I run the cord through the inside of my jacket. The plug end comes out the bottom of the front of my jacket, and I run it from there to my tank bag where it is connected either to my MP3 player or XM radio. Works slick - never had a problem with that arrangement. When I stop for gas, I just unplug it and leave the "tail" dangling or stuff it into a pocket until I am done.

I have my Zumo on the left handlebar. I bought an "extension" cord at Wall-Mart (6 foot I think) and ran the cord from my Zumo down the bar , across the left faring and under the bottom trim of the gas tank. Then took off the seat and pulled the end out so it sticks out a few inches up from the front of the seat, after I put the seat back on.

You can see it sticking up at the front of the seat here:

https://tinyurl.com/2ypn7z

I then run the cord from my ER6i under my shirt/jacket and plug in after I get on the bike. I have forgotten to "unplug" a few times getting off, but it unplugged itself when it got tugged on.

(I'm better about remembering now...lol) any extra cord is just shoved up under my jacket at the bottom.

KM

I like Knifemaker's suggestion, and will hunt for an extension to come up right where his picture shows it. Thanks for the suggestions; several slick ideas!

Just a quick correction. I said I got the stereo extension cord at Wal-Mart, and I did get one there...but the one I used on my bike is a "heavy duty" (meaning thicker insulation) cord from Radio Shack.

KM

10-4 on that, Knifemaker. Even though it's not got "Lots 'o Amps" flowing through it, I'll put the HD extension in a fiberglass wire loom to run under the tank. Thanks for the edit.

Tim

Edit: I picked up a Radio Shack "Heavy-Duty Extension Cable" 8 feet long 1/8" stereo plug to 1/8" stereo jack #42-2492 that looks like it will fit the bill.

Edit#2: Easy install; didn't have to raise the tank......just ran it from the steering head down and under the left side of the tank, behind the rubber spacer and black plastic panel. Removed one hex head screw to lift up the black plastic panel then on through to the toolbox area. Snaked fiberglass wire loom over the cord, zip tied extra few feet in a coil and tucked it under the rear portion of the tank, leaving about a foot to stick up between tank and front seat as in Knifemaker's pix. When not in use, jack hides under the front of the sheepskin. Neat!