Engine Loosen Up?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpm

Reaction score
I had my FJR a short time (500 miles) When does this moto loosen up as far as the engine goes ? I have noticed at first the bike vibrated at 4K. Not so much now. I keep the bike under 4.5 K except for a couple of time up to 6 K. Can't control myself. My 650 V-Strom changed character at 1 K. Reved easier. My old R65 took 5 K to sound like a BMW.

KP

Last edited by a moderator:
The official line is 1K , and I've found it gets smoother from there. I've got 2200 on mine now and it is quite willing to rev easily to red line.

<sarcasm>At 998.2 miles the engine instantly changes...it's like Yamaha flips a switch.</sarcasm>

I didn't notice things change significantly...maybe a bit looser now at 122000 than at 122.

I seem to recall a noticeable improvement in mpg (which to me meant the engine was finally fully broken in) right about 10K miles. In the almost 75K since then, not much change...

If you're concerned about the break-in, I believe the official MamaYama rules are not to exceed 4K rpm for SUSTAINED periods during the 1k break-in period. Doesn't hurt to bounce past and back down.

When I first got my bike, the big discussion was the "motoman" break-in (try the search function), which essentially said wind the fully warmed-up brand new motor to redline in 1st and 2nd and then decel hard - repeat until the engine got a couple bars hotter, then let it all cool completely down, repeat for the first 25 miles or so, and then change your oil. I did a variation of that method (up to about 7,500 RPM - redline just seemed too abusive) and have had no problems - didn't hear of anybody grenading their engine by doing the full Motoman either. Vary your RPMs and DON'T let the bike idle for extended periods and she should be fine.

Ig - Please define "looser".
KPM - What year bike? How many miles on bike? Where are you from?

FJRB,

2010 with 500 miles. A wet behind the ears baby.

I live in the Midwest. Ride the area around Cincinnati. Been to the OC for a few weeks off and on for training. Beautiful weather but too many people.

mine has about 65K on it. As loose as my first wife about now.

No seriously, I think it gradually loosens and settles into its 'middle age' around 10K. It's felt rock solid thw whole way.

When did you pick-up the bike. It took me 3 days to get through the first 1k. Seriously the bike will change at about 8K to 10 K like the other guy's have said. At about 70K she just purrs along. :clapping: Also update your profile.