engine stalling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lele

Reaction score
Quite often happen I release the clutch too fast and I stall the engine or I try careless to moving in second gear...a friend of mine say this is very bad for an engine and could also result in cam chain to skip a teeth or more.Do u think this is possible? I'm worried about it!!

If your smooth with the clutch lever / throttle, you can easily get rolling in second.

Re the Cam chain jumping likely NOT.

I would do a bit of practicing starting as stalling in first (especially in traffic) can very

hazardous to your health...

Paying attention to what gear your in as well is basic stuff, (especially when stopped)

*I'd practice a bit of "seat time" in a parking lot.*

Completely agree with the previous post plus..........

Make sure your idle speed is about 1100 RPM (with a warm engine).

If killing the engine with the clutch when starting regularly caused a cam chain to jump a tooth, the local roads would be littered with abandoned bikes on a daily basis. That is a new one.

To agree with the others though, if you do this "quite often" as you put it, you definitely should polish your technique. It should be an occasional thing at best.

I agree with the "increase the idle" comment. If you adjust it up to 1125-1150 many of your problems with starting out and low speed maneuvers will go away.

My gen III increases increases rpm's on its own when the clutch is released.

Last edited by a moderator:
My gen III increases increases rpm's on its own when the clutch is released.
So does mine.

I wish it wouldn't, it forces clutch engagement on my YCC-S system when I'd prefer to keep it slipping, like I could on my Gen 2.

Can cause conciderable slow speed control problems. Yes, I could put my rear brake on, except I'm using my foot to make sure the bike doesn't fall over, which it can very easily as I reduce the throttle to counteract the ECU speed increase, then the speed drops too much and the clutch disengages.

Sorry, off topic mini-rant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this is off topic but when I got my 2010 FJR last summer I had a time remembering to fully downshift into first when coming to a stop. The FJR motor is so smooth compared to what I was used to I would just forget to downshift. Got myself re-programed now but it was difficult at first. I even made a few starts in 3rd gear with a passenger and no real problem. The new bikes increasing RPM when the clutch is released seems to me to be a bit over the top in items of any necessity.

I don't know if this is off topic but when I got my 2010 FJR last summer I had a time remembering to fully downshift into first when coming to a stop. The FJR motor is so smooth compared to what I was used to I would just forget to downshift. Got myself re-programed now but it was difficult at first. I even made a few starts in 3rd gear with a passenger and no real problem. The new bikes increasing RPM when the clutch is released seems to me to be a bit over the top in items of any necessity.
I figured it's an enticement to get younger folks on the FJR. You know the ones- those that never learned to drive a stick. Maybe it's Mammy Yammy's first little step to eliminating that pesky need for shifting altogether. Think "SilverWing".