ER 6 earphones volume problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Bob

Bilge pump. A novel idea.
Reaction score
Well,

I've been using the ER 6 earphones and found them to be very good, I been able to set my Zumo volume to 70% and still hear music/voice prompts clearly.

Yesterday, while riding, they lost their volume. Even at the 100% setting, they are barely audible.

Yes, the channels through the plugs are clear of any "ear jam".

As a test, I tried them in my Son's MP3player. Same result.

Any ideas :unsure:

As usual, thanks in advance!

I suggest that the 'filters' are indeed plugged.

If I read your post correctly, they don't work on either system?

You can't see the amount of EJ (ear jam) needed to plug the filters.

I've simply given up and don't run the filters anymore.

Take the 'extraction tool', remove the filters, clean your ears, :rolleyes: and try again.

dcarver is right. It takes very little, they can clog rather suddenly, and you're not likely to be able to see it. Take off the foam or plastic flange thingies (whichever you use), unfold a paper clip, and gently stick it in the small hole. Blow on it a little bit. Problem should be solved.

Well,I've been using the ER 6 earphones and found them to be very good, I been able to set my Zumo volume to 70% and still hear music/voice prompts clearly.

Yesterday, while riding, they lost their volume. Even at the 100% setting, they are barely audible.

Yes, the channels through the plugs are clear of any "ear jam".

As a test, I tried them in my Son's MP3player. Same result.

Any ideas :unsure:

As usual, thanks in advance!

Try putting in new filters. It is hard to tell visually if they are "gummed up"; but the aural proof is compelling if filters are the problem.

Thanks Gentlemen,

That was it. I pulled the filters and they sound great once again.

Any downside to not using the filter?

Thanks Gentlemen,That was it. I pulled the filters and they sound great once again.

Any downside to not using the filter?

I would imagine that the crap and crude that jams up the filter will eventually gunk up the speaker itself if you choose not to use the filters. I always have an extra 2-4 filters on hand - just in case. You can order them right from the web site.

I would use the filters - if you ever get wax way down in the filter holes you are probably really scrooged. BTW I can confirm that removing and reinstalling the filters works to resolve volume problems. I had the same problem - same solution.