Etymotic ER6 discontinued

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Called Etymotic, discontinued last year. 6i's are still available but - I like the ER6's. Here's why, complete post here.

My .02 worth..The ER6's have better frequency response than the 6i's. For once, I can actually hear the result that the spec's claim. I started with the 6i's then was forced to the 6's due to StarComm issues. After using the 6's, I'm much happier with them over the 6i's.

BTW - if you are running a StarComm, you should be using the 6's. The 6i's were designed for low level audio output devices like mp3 players, ipods, etc. and have a very low impedance value, IIRC, about 15 ohms. The StarComm unit has a relatively high impedance value of IIRC ~36 ohms.

When I run the 6i's with the StarCom on hot days, the StarCom's audio power amplifier goes into thermal meltdown with resultant shitty sound. The thermal 'meltdown' is due to the StarComm having to source more current into the lower impedance 6i's, combined with ambient heat. This happened *EVERY* time ambient temp exceeded 85F.

Since using the 6's, IIRC, ~45 ohms impedance, the StarComm has not failed once.

YMMV.
Questions then -

1. If you're running Er6i's and Starcomm Advanced, and live in hot weather, have you had problems with audio quality?

2. What's the latest greatest best ear buds you're wearing?

Quote from another person who has these, And i agree 100%

Pros: The Klipsch S4's overall sound is so good I was truly shocked the first time I used them. Though they have a definite bass bias, the S4's bass is professionally done, startlingly appropriate, even welcome when it's noticed (not a boomy drone, etc.). 

Cons: This product's sound is all you're going to get when you buy one these. Klipsch includes almost nothing with these phones. The aluminum "carrying case" is beyond pathetic.

Summary: Sound is subjective. My ears have heard lots of different kinds over the years, from the best to the worst. I played music professionally for 14 years and know a thing or two about sound quality. Bose? Please. Clarity? These phones have it. Bass? They have bass that punches you ... Expand full review

Summary: Sound is subjective. My ears have heard lots of different kinds over the years, from the best to the worst. I played music professionally for 14 years and know a thing or two about sound quality. Bose? Please. Clarity? These phones have it. Bass? They have bass that punches you in the chest, that "feels" more powerful than the likes of even the Monster Turbines (perhaps due to their NOTHING BUT BASS overall sound). These phones DESTROY the Bose in-ear phones, as they do nearly every other IE phones I've listened to. They're also incredibly comfortable, hardly noticeable after a short while wearing them. They'll do well for those who need phones that'll stay in place during workouts and such, that are light but tough - quality all around. Considering their sound, Klipsch asks an impossibly low price for these phones. But, considering the accessories? Think cereal cartons and Kleenex boxes that come included with stellar, superior IE canal phones. If you want a product that comes with pretty parts and sexy packaging but delivers ultimately mediocre and unimpressive sound, go with V-Moda, Bose, most of the Shure range, many others. If you want awesome sound and nothing more, get a pair of these suckers. Simple as that.
Clicky

Clicky

Well, the dog ate my ER6s, stop by a local radio shack pick up a set of their cheapie Auvio earbuds $20, didn't like the silcone tips, but found out later that the foam cusion ear pieces form the ER6 fits.

Also, I had these piped directly into the Zumo 550 with XM, And the quality and sound level double the ER6i's i had. Connect iPod and be prepared for serious hearing loss. :punk:

I've used ER-6s and ER-6is. Usually plugged into a Mix-It, frequently just plugged into the Garmin GPS, and when running the IBR or sometimes 24 hour rallys, plugged into an Autocom. I too preferred the 6 over the 6i though I couldn't tell you why at this point. I gave my 6is to GSJane a long time ago.

I used the 6 for several years - approximately 5 and they worked great. Finally, the right side went intermittent, and then stopped working. The back-up pair I had on hand that I had bought when they were on sale at Amazon started giving me problems almost right away - the right side being intermittent. I've heard others have had problems with durability also. Interestingly, I recently bought a $10 inline volume control (for use with gps only and works pretty damn well in that role) and the ER-6s work well with that. No right side intermittent problem. I have no idea why.

Anywho, my recommendation is the S-plug. They are pricey, but they are built more stout and most importantly they are much more comfortable than the Etymotics. Sound quality is a wash as far as I am concerned. I recently bought a back-up pair of the S-plug as I plan on making them my primary audio device. Pricey, but well worth the price. I could never get the earbuds that GalaxyBlue recommends as they are too big. Too big = major discomfort depending on the helmet. With the S-Plugs, it doesn't matter what kind of helmet you wear and how big the ear pocket is. They are small and soft. Comfy, comfy, comfy.

Even with a helmet that has a HUGE ear pocket, the ER-6s started giving me INTENSE pain along about day 7 of the IBR. My ears hurt for weeks afterwards. Wearing S-Plugs during the IBR the 2nd time around I was PAIN FREE!!!

Clicky for S-Plugs and Inline Volume Control

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, call me the lucky dog-o-the-day. The S4 posts got me to thinking 'hey, doode, didn't you win some ear buds at WFO Eureka? Got to digging around, and sure as hell, a brand new in the package never been opened set!

Woot Woot!

..and just in case, I resurrected two old sets of ER6's - for the summer heat stuff.

Thanks to everyone who responded -

dcarver

You might like Ultimate Ears UE 700s. Pricy, but worth it. They have two drivers per ear, multiple size tips (like ER-6). They are really small and fit well under my helmet. I wore them for two straight weeks, nearly 16 hours a day in comfort. better quality cable, but a little shorter than the ER-6s

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B001NTFAOS

Latest posts