expanding meaning of "farkle"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palerider

Reaction score
:boredom:

This may be of interest only to me, but I think about words and how they evolve, and it seems to me that the meaning of "farkle" is expanding. My understanding is the the word derives from the combination of "functional" and "sparkle," which to me implies that it initially meant something with some chrome on it that also improved the behavior of the machine.

But amid the conversation about putting FZ1 mirrors on an FJR, someone called it "the best farkle for the money" (a sentiment with which I agree). This has me wondering what "farkle" can encompass. I have no dog in this hunt; I just want to hear people's sense of the meaning of the word. For instance I don't belileve there'd be any argument that a GPS is a "farkle," but is a new windshield a farkle? Are new tires a farkle if they are put on to improve the performance of the bike? What about new, better-performing brake pads? Synthetic oil? A custom seat? Is "farkling" any change from stock components no matter how mundane (think replacing the spiffly-looking FJR stock mirrors with the plain black but undeniably better-functioning FZ1 mirrors), or does there need to be some degree of aesthetic influence in a farkle?

Bored minds want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it's been a little while (IIRC) since this came up...so we're not gonna beat you up TOO bad. But beware, it IS Friday (normally we execute well deserved dog-pile sessions on Fridays 'round these parts).

Actually it's been a little while (IIRC) since this came up...so we're not gonna beat you up TOO bad. But beware, it IS Friday (normally we execute well deserved dog-pile sessions on Fridays 'round these parts).
I deserve whatever I get. :dribble:

Moderator, please remove.
As a general rule we don't remove stuff once it's been responded to. People will start wondering where posts went, start bandying about words like "censorship", and get all 1st Amendment'ish.

Instead, it's moved to NEPRT and hopefully will drop off the forum radar soon enough. ;)

As a general rule we don't remove stuff once it's been responded to. People will start wondering where posts went, start bandying about words like "censorship", and get all 1st Amendment'ish.

Instead, it's moved to NEPRT and hopefully will drop off the forum radar soon enough. ;)
Gotcha.

I never conserned myself with the origins of the word, I just like saying "Farkle" much more than "accessory" ....

And I want a T shirt that says ...." FARKLE THIS".... just to keep things balanced..

KM

I never conserned myself with the origins of the word, I just like saying "Farkle" much more than "accessory" ....

And I want a T shirt that says ...." FARKLE THIS".... just to keep things balanced..

KM
PM me your address. I hope I spell "farkle" correctly. Four letters, right?

What cracks me up are the 1st Amendment whiners who have never read the 1st Amendment, which says

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Nowhere does it say "Ignacio shall make no law..."

Censor away, buddy. You have the right. I know you don't, but screw them who use the 1st Amendment to suit their whiny-gash needs.

This stuff reminds me of a little poem I wrote. I bet some of you can relate.

Farkles can be a lot of fun.. :yahoo:

Threads...Posts and what not, <_<

Just don't let Momma see the Sum... :blink:

Because then your Caught!! :dribble:

WW

:ph34r:

Damn! an me here short way to many brain cells ta be funny :dribble: . Ah well it was worth it! :D

Been Friday here since Tuesday.

:jester:

Who woke up Bust???

Gunny Radio Howie! The Gub-ment has to do the censoring.

Palerider it is Friday. No worries we'll just have some funnin' .... Unless Bust falls asleep on the keyboard again then you'll just see, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Wzzzat??? Sumbudy say sumpin????? :dribble: Hey, I'm awake!

FUZZY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To whatever jus happened.

:jester: