Explanation of Armor Types

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Anyone have a link that explains the differences between Rock Tex 660 vs. Rock Tex 1050, vs 500 Denier Cordura Gore Tex, vs 600 Denier, CE approved vs non-approved......

I'm buying some new gear and want to buy quality stuff, but am getting lost in what these ratings really mean and what is neccessary???

Anyone have a link that explains the differences between Rock Tex 660 vs. Rock Tex 1050, vs 500 Denier Cordura Gore Tex, vs 600 Denier, CE approved vs non-approved......
I'm buying some new gear and want to buy quality stuff, but am getting lost in what these ratings really mean and what is neccessary???
Check out the info on the center of this page:

www.motoport.com

a lot of those may be labels associated with specific brands, but re: textile material, the higher the number in cordura, the thicker. i think the aerostich suit main material is 600 denier and the high impact panels are 1000 denier. i would wonder if the "rock tex 660" is just a fancy phrase for 660 denier cordura, and the 1050 rock tex is 1050 cordura, since the numbers are so similar to 600 and 1000 denier.

hth...

keithaba,

Simple problem IMO. If you risked it as a professional AMA racer and had sponsors to buy you any gear, what would you wear? Sorry you dont have sponsors but you know the answer... How many AMA or GP riders dont wear LEATHER with CE rated armor for the spine sholders etc etc. As you are already painfully aware, you will go down. you bought the best ST on the market to get you up to speed; what are you going to to bring you to a stop on your next crash?

Oh and by the way when Jorge Lorenzo went down on the last lap in a battle to hold the lead (a week or so ago), how did he manage to pull off 8th place? Well for starters, because he had racing leathers on he was largely unhurt got back on his bike and managed to only let a 6 more guys past. the The links that toe john provide are written by the product manufacturer, perhaps great materials but it seems that it is still not a trusted material by pro riders (please correct me if I am wrong anyone, i dont follow racing all that much). I am sure there are new textiles that can match leather but IMO they are disposable. Have you ever gone down with leather on? I have and was able to wear the jacket for several years after because it was not even scuffed. Also the suit doesnt have to be made of solid leather per se but should be on any surface that is likely to be making first contact.

No doubt about it leather is inconvienient, but hey its your skin. :blink:

PS so keith what is your link to ABA??

Last edited by a moderator: