Extended Warranty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cash

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 06+ FJR, I'm wondering if its a wise thing to get the extended warranty if I go through a dealership? I've owned a number of other Yamaha's and never had one but I plan on putting a few miles on an FJR and want to protect my investment. Thanks for the input

Have you read #26 yet of the New Owners Read This thread?

Do.

And this subject has been beaten to death....including a very helpful poll on the subject with 4:1 on having the warranty.

That and see the many, many threads this exact subjective subject has been discussed by entering extended warranty worth it site:fjrforum.com at Google.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry guess I need to search a little more in depth next time to find the answers to my questions. Thanks for the help

Cash,

It you are going to get it, here is the place to get it for about $389

D&H Cycle, 18115 US Hwy 31, Cullman, AL 35058, 256-739-1840, 888-553-3311

In my mind it is worth it and it is transferrable.

My FJR has been the most trouble free and enjoyable bike I have ever owned. Enjoyable because having the extended policy gives me the reasurance that I can go anywhere across this great country of ours and there will be a Yamaha dealer near by ready to make any repair necessary at no charge. Call it trip insurance!

Hey Cash,

I use other peoples computers and dont always have time to search...they may come home !

I bought the YES from D&H and so far its covered a camchain, camchain tensioner, and rear shock ...at 40K miles !!!! Thats like 3 trillion pesos, or at least 2K greenbacks...you be the judge...buy the darn warranty man !

Blessings,

Bobby

Be aware that unless the machine is brand new (a leftover) and has not been registered, then all of this talk about the YES is useless. Also be aware that the machine you are considering could well have an existing extended warranty - get a dealer to check.

Yamaha's extended service plan can only be purchased while the machine is under the original warranty - it is probable that the 06 you are discussing has been on the road for more than a year.

Having said that, and if my hunch is correct your alternatives would be aftermarket policies. I have yet to see one that wouldn't balk at paying a major claim or that would coiver the whole machine. In fact, if the bike is used, I could envision a scenario where they could exclude c laim because there is no proof of maintenance - or that they might blame the PO for abusing the bike . . . .

But the reliability of the policy provider and the coverage he provides is for you to determine - all I know is that my OEM extended warranty has paid for itself.

Extended Warranty, Is it worth it or neededI plan on putting a few miles on an FJR and want to protect my investment.

Thanks for the input
I bought the YES from D&H and so far its covered a camchain, camchain tensioner, and rear shock ...at 40K miles !!!! Thats like 3 trillion pesos, or at least 2K greenbacks...you be the judge...buy the darn warranty man !
- all I know is that my OEM extended warranty has paid for itself.
Hmmm..., if MamaYama paid in excess of the premium to all the FJR riders who bought FJR Failure Insurance -- they'd be losing money? That'd mean: either a lesser bottom line for MamaYama -- or, all the other (non-insurance-buying) FJR purchasers were subsidizing the Insurance Plan by paying more for their FJR?

In John Grisham's novel, The Rainmaker, the insurance company (Great Benefit Ins.) paid-out to 10% of the claims (1% of the subscribers...).

Insurance is, currently, probably America's biggest industry? How it succeeds as well as it does and benefits it's supporters so well -- is beyond me...?

Of course, when you buy a bike as 'frail' as the FJR -- well....? :blink: :unsure: ;)

You're welcome.