Extended Warranty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bikewhore

Reaction score
I just picked up an 05 with a paltry 2000 miles on it. Naturally, it's still under factory warranty. My local Yamaha dealer offers an extended warranty for 4 years I believe. I think they said that the going rate was about $700. I would get it for about $590 after some sweet talking.

Worth it? I average 25,000-30,000 a year

I would say most definately worth it for the miles you put on. There is the slight chance you could get the "tick", and it would be invaluable.

Its a bargain if you get the warranty from D&H Cycle in Cullman, AL. They sell the 4 year Y.E.S for $389 IIRC.

Oh, and welcome to the madhouse!

Last edited by a moderator:
First, ABSOLUTELY GET IT.

I'm the last person in the world to buy an extended warranty, but this is one is different. The Yamaha YES is a great one.

.....just in case it ticks.....or just in case you have something break after the first year. To me it's a factory subsidized warranty.

And, even the $590 sounds high.

D+H Cycle in Alabama offers them for $390 I believe. You can get the warranty through any dealer BTW.

I happen to get mine for $450 after they claimed it was $600. When I said $390 they came down and for I paid the $60 out of a sense of loyalty.

Only exception to buying from D+H is if you're a Florida resident. The state of Florida is whack when it comes to insurance.

Also, welcome to the board!

I've read a lot about this "tick" I've seen long indepth discussions about it. Can someone give me the ADD/Cliff notes version of what it's about? I rode an oil head beemer for a year. Motor sounds don't scare me. :D

Documented religiously on another forum....but taken down by the admin because the excellent research scientist, Warchild, moved over to this board. he's going to update when he has time.

There's an increasingly small chance a motorcycle could be a "ticker". Maybe 1 in 15 for '05s. Valve and valve guide wear after 30,000 miles requires a valve and valve guide replacement. Cause not known officially, but supposedly Yamaha has fixed for '06 with valve seals that let a bit more oil by to keep them lubricated (a well known thing in racing circle). Was probably more of a problem in '03 and '04.

We're all waiting to see.

Tickers usually start to develop 5,000 to 10,000 miles and sound a bit different than typical Yamaha Genesis head valve clatter. Best analogy is steak knives rattling on a metal surface and not just a regular "tick" sound.

Again, don't worry dude. Twist her open after warming her up.

mine won't be a ticker. My last bike was a CBR1100XX. If you know anything about those...a very small number of them have counterbalancer issues causing them to vibrate badly. My CBR was one of those select few. For me to get a vibey CBR AND a ticker FJR.....what are the odds? haha