Extra luggage rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theycallmemorris

Reaction score
I've got a Camaro and a dually, but use any excuse to ride my bike instead of using either of them. On that note, there are many times that I could use just a little extra luggage room. I looked heavily in to building a mono-wheel trailer for it, but I have the worlds worst luck when it comes to towing trailers. Which is often.. It's one thing for wheels to break off of a trailer behind my truck, but it'd be a whole other story on the bike. I was thinking of something along the lines of the mini hitch racks you see on some goldwings and cruisers. I surf fish a lot, so I would be able to have an attachment of a bucket/rod holders or use the rack for other items as needed. Has anyone done anything similar? Any other ideas? I'm aware of the affect of weight back there, and it would be packed accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check adventure rider forum. There are a bunch of GS riders that have done similar things with golf clubs and bicycles.

Worney

Buy a good trailer and maintain it. Wheels don't fall off trailers unless they are abused. I've pulled trailers thousands of times since I was a kid. The worst that has ever happened was when a trailer came off a ball...Because I had my head up my ass.

There is no luck. How you take care of it determines how it takes care of you.

I bought and installed a used Uni-Go hitch. I mounted a Givi plate vertically on the hitch. When the wife and I go on a camping tour we snap on a Givi bag to help hold the camping gear. Sorry, I do not have an internet photo storage account so cannot add a picture.

Worney - Something that would hold golf clubs would be about perfect. I'm looking through advrider now to see if I can find something that will work.

HotRodZilla - I mentioned that I did not want a trailer. And you suggested one.

Jack D - I know what you're talking about, and I'll probably end up with a similar set-up. Trying to check out any and all of my options. With some sort of hitch back there I could make different attachments for different items.

Um, you never said, "I don't want one." What you said is you don't want to drive your Camaro or your truck, and you break trailers, which is why after thinking about building one, you decided to ask about a rack. Go back and read it...I'll wait.

I'm not stupid, I knew what you were getting at. However, your inability to care for a piece of equipment, like a trailer, probably extends to all the machines you own. That being said, the FJR's rear subframe is notoriously weak. If a person doesn't pay attention, they will overload it and break it. I suggested a trailer and suggested you maintain it. You can load more on it and don't have to stress about your subframe.

See?? I was looking out for you.

I bought and installed a used Uni-Go hitch. I mounted a Givi plate vertically on the hitch. When the wife and I go on a camping tour we snap on a Givi bag to help hold the camping gear. Sorry, I do not have an internet photo storage account so cannot add a picture.
Here are the pics JackD was talking about and mounting instructions:

The Uni-Go hitch has a flat plate with 4 threaded holes. I made an aluminum plate to bolt to those holes that also has holes to bolt the Givi mounting plate to.

FJRUni-GoTrailerHitch1.jpg

FJRUni-GoTrailerHitch2.jpg