factory tool kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxrybound

Reaction score
I just purchased a used 09 so for I can stop smiling or looking at while I'm not riding it :)

It is missing the tool kit is it worth getting it or just make up me a kit to carry. Thanks let me go ride it and grin a little more.

IMHO most factory tool kiits, no matter the brand, are next to worthless, so if you have to buy some tools you may as well get good ones. I use the bag that came with the bike but the tools inside are Craftsman and asst.

IMHO most factory tool kiits, no matter the brand, are next to worthless, so if you have to buy some tools you may as well get good ones. I use the bag that came with the bike but the tools inside are Craftsman and asst.
+1 One of the first things I changed was the tools. Either make up your own from what's on your bench (what I did), or else pick up one of the pre-packed kits from a vendor.

I looked at the Cruz Tools kit, and it seems well made, functional and compact. CLICK HERE!

There are no doubt others as good or better.

Griff

The only thing I have used out of the factory tool kit is the spark plug socket. The socket I have is too wide for the hole for the recessed plugs on the FJR.

Ditto on custom tool kits. In addition to better quality tools, you might also want to carry things like tire repair materials (and a pump), appropriate sized Allen wrenches, zip ties, duct tape, and of course, something really important I can't think of right now. I have a hemostat in mine, and that's handy for many reasons. Most recently for fishing a stuck ear plug out of somebody's head up north of Eureka at WFO. :dribble: (I don't want to name names.) By the way, same goes for putting together some basic first aid materials, just in case.

Nothing to add. The factory tool kit is not good quality. Don't waste your money replacing it with the Yamaha kit. Make up your own or buy a kit from another vendor

Nothing to add. The factory tool kit is not good quality. Don't waste your money replacing it with the Yamaha kit. Make up your own or buy a kit from another vendor
Factory Spark plug socket is specific to the bike model and is usually the only tool in the kit worth keeping.

Bill

That's kinda what i was thinking but I didn't know if Yamaha gave out nice tools like Snap On , Mac etc. It don't hurt to dream right

Factory Spark plug socket is specific to the bike model and is usually the only tool in the kit worth keeping.

Bill
Pretty much how I see it too, although the typical box end axle nut wrench + the included cheater 'tube' in most bike tool kits is actually better than using a heavy full sized box end or combination wrench, because it's relatively short when broken down and is good enough, etc.

I'm still carrying all the original tools, but I've got on board a couple of ratchets, some sockets, extensions, and various other tools in addition to them.

BTW, does anyone know if the factory tool kit is on the parts catalog for the bike? I've looked on nearly every page and I can't find it. Just curious. Found it on the "FENDER" page...MSRP: $60.01 Definitely not worth even the $45 the discounters want for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the one you want. Ignore the factory tool kit. This precision german tool kit comes highly recommended and is on sale for $50 at bestrest.com. Get the 36 piece engineer's tool kit. This came highly recommended from BMW Iron butt riders, and it is my favorite set of tools.

https://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-122-prox...s-tool-kit.aspx

122.jpg

"If there's one tool kit you should have in your garage (or in your panniers), it's this one. We've carried it to the Arctic Circle, and along the Continental Divide from Canada to Mexico. It'll perform 90% of all roadside repairs and maintenance tasks."

Not meaning to hijack the thread but any suggestions on a garage toolkit? I assume I will need metrics and already need the 12mm hex socket to put the sliders on. Would rather not do this one piece at a time.

I'll be the one dissenting vote. I think the factory tool kit is fine for what it is meant for. To be carried on the bike and (probably) never used. Available in case of an emergency only. I do not want to waste my money on good tools to sit under the seat and get crappy after years of complete neglect.

I also never use those tools for anything. I have lots of good tools in my garage for doing the real maintenance work. That way I know if that day does come around, the crappy factory tools will still be in the kit when I need them.

The guy you bought your bike from probably has the tools. See if you can get them from him before he sells them, along with the owners manual and bag liners, on fleaBay.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but any suggestions on a garage toolkit? I assume I will need metrics and already need the 12mm hex socket to put the sliders on. Would rather not do this one piece at a time.
Yes. You need them all. Anything that even looks like a tool? Yeah, you want that. ;)

I have a hemostat in mine, and that's handy for many reasons. Most recently for fishing a stuck ear plug out of somebody's head up north of Eureka at WFO. :dribble: (I don't want to name names.)
Ha...so I'm not the only one. :)

If I recall, needlenose pliers were the weapon of choice.