Fairing removal(carefully)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Can the fairing be removed without destroying the locating lug at the rear (behind the 3 screws), or should i say, is there a technique???

Gazza

If I'm reading between the lines correctly here, you're referring to the three screws that hold the sides of the lower and upper fairing together. Once the three screws are out, a gentle push at the top of the lower piece will dis-engage the locating lugs. It's definitely a technique but once you've done it, the fairing comes apart easily. You'll get some extra movement if you remove the self-tappers inside and adjacent to the radiator first...

Good luck.

--G

Like this careful removal? :eek:

MassDamage.jpg

Bambi

..back on topic, it looks much easier to remove a Gen1 than 2 nose cone..

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^ Pfffft :dirol: That shoulda buffed right out.

:lol:

Did you save some of that Deer hair? I had a buddy build a couple flies with the leftovers from my unscheduled sampling.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm reading between the lines correctly here, you're referring to the three screws that hold the sides of the lower and upper fairing together. Once the three screws are out, a gentle push at the top of the lower piece will dis-engage the locating lugs. It's definitely a technique but once you've done it, the fairing comes apart easily. You'll get some extra movement if you remove the self-tappers inside and adjacent to the radiator first...

Good luck.

--G

Thanks for the info. Just a bit worried about the locating lug at the rear. It looks a bit on the flimsy side

Gazza

Good luck.

--G

Thanks for the info. Just a bit worried about the locating lug at the rear. It looks a bit on the flimsy side

Gazza
Walt's post is wonderful!

Many of us have had their fairings on and off a number of times. Just be careful the first time removing and installing. After that it's a piece-of-cake.