Fast Taxi - converted my FJR into a Taxi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
On the advice of a friend, I figured this would be a good first step prior to investing huge dollars in a custom seat. Now, I'm not so naive to believe that this simple mod trumps a custom, well designed seat, but (or is that butt...) I figured it's a worthy $40 first step.

Here's the crappy iPhone shots from the install this evening... and what an install. Talk about technical and tough... wow!

1 - place beads on seat

2 - sling straps under seat

3 - tighten straps

4 - replace seat and ride baby, ride!

Hoping to ride this weekend and post up a report. Expecting a happy arse. :D

Now, let's see, what else can I tell you...?

The beads are a synthetic, very hard plastic, not wood. Everything is held together with a heavy gauge plastic line (think fishing line, but, ah, VERY thick). The straps are rubber cord with a slip/stop mechanism to hold them tight. Everything is weather friendly, which is as it should be, IMO. Very quality feel to the whole thing. This unit measures 12" x 12" and fits and holds well on the seat (well, holds well in the demanding environment of sitting still in the garage, at least). It appears there are two separate ways you could mount the beads, too, with one "end" being slightly longer than the other, so I went "short" end forward. Felt great under myself on the initial sit - no "edges" or anything.

2271519130048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2149973210048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Did someone call for a taxi? Better have a helmet handy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you!

Some might laugh, but I never leave home without them! My Beadriders are old wooden beads with the black acrylic paint starting to wear off. I have had a set for 15!? years or so. Sally and I have done a few long days on the OEM seat, 2 were up to 860 miles. We go to Myrtle each summer in July - 700 miles in one day - with no problems. Won't solve pressure point issues but the air circulating down there is a relief.

See, even passing strangers stop to admire my beads!

2-lizzy2.jpg

I tried that.

The good: It allowed for more air flow, so less moisture build up.

The bad: Instead of a couple of hot spots, I now had l-o-t-s of little hot spots - pretty much one for each bead. :D

The ugly: Self explanatory. :D

I've been interested in trying these. Looking forward to a full "bodied" report as soon as some miles are accumulated... ;)

--G

I'm giving it good marks too. When I bought mine--three years and two bikes ago--I somehow screwed up the order, must have hit "send" twice or something. One came, a couple days later another one came. (Yeah, I got billed for both.) I thought I'd send one back for a refund, but after riding for several days and deciding I liked it I decided to keep the second one as a backup. Figured it wouldn't last all that long. Well, it's been three years, maybe 25, 30 thousand miles, and it's still in fine shape. The shine's off the beads, but it's holding up very well. Now I see Marty's saying the damn thing'll last 15 years! Crap, I should'a sent back the second one after all.

I put it on just before leaving on a long trip. I think I was in Idaho or somewhere--day three--before I really made up my mind on it; it does take some getting used to. As to the "lots of little hot spots," I disagree. You move around a little on it--just a little, and instead of feeling it digging into you, it gives you a nice little massage--no kidding. And the beads make it very easy to slide on--much easier than on the bare saddle--without being unstable at all. In the heat it allows enough air to flow to keep from heat (and sweat) building up, but even in the cold it doesn't feel cold under you. Unlike sheepskin, for example, it won't get soaked and nasty to sit on if the bike sits in the rain or dew forms on it. A pretty good product, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never liked them on car seats so I am sure I would not want one on a bike. Maybe I need more meat in my skinny butt but those beads just feel wrong to me.

I started using a bead seat about 15 yrs ago during hot weather only. I throw it on the seat for the second half of a long tour day, because it's cooler with good ventilation. Keeps me from getting monkey butt. On a cold morning, I don't like it because it provides too much cold air movement, making my butt cold. My old one finally fell apart and I purchased a Bead Rider.