Fastener-free Fenda Extenda

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also use ABS cement from a Home Depot, etc. Clean the area under the fender and rough up both sides a little. Do not use to much cement, makes a mess when it oozes out and it has a tendency to soften the plastic. Let it setup overnight. Mine has stayed on for two years now without screws.

Bill

Oh, and Murph is a great guy. Bought many items from him in my COG days.
Just wanted to add a +1 on that. Great guy, great service, home-based business. His business started when he volunteered to put together some aftermarket fairing screw kits for COG members. He still runs it with that, "Sure, I'll do that for you" approach.

You can also use ABS cement from a Home Depot, etc. Clean the area under the fender and rough up both sides a little. Do not use to much cement, makes a mess when it oozes out and it has a tendency to soften the plastic. Let it setup overnight. Mine has stayed on for two years now without screws.
Bill
Did you remove the double sided foam tape before applying the glue? THIS LINK shows both tape and glue.

Bill
Did you remove the double sided foam tape before applying the glue? THIS LINK shows both tape and glue.
Yep, pix shows tape & cement, but I removed the tape & used only ABS cement as Warchild advised on my new ‘04. Generally, glue itself isn’t very strong but its adhesion is, so a thinner layer of glue is better that a thick one. Glue is made to stick stuff together, not to fill gaps. I also used a couple of clamps overnight and the fender and the Extenda are one. It’s gotta be clean…Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Bill
Yep, pix shows tape & cement, but I removed the tape & used only ABS cement as Warchild advised on my new ‘04. Generally, glue itself isn’t very strong but its adhesion is, so a thinner layer of glue is better that a thick one. Glue is made to stick stuff together, not to fill gaps. I also used a couple of clamps overnight and the fender and the Extenda are one. It’s gotta be clean…Later,,, De :rolleyes:
I also used PVC pipe glue and removed the 3M tape prior. PVC glue dries very fast, works like a champ.

I would recommend using ABS cement (the black stuff), I think its more suited for the material you are working with. And yes, remove the tape. Don't get in a hurry, let it set overnight with some clamps or tape, and don't set the clamps too tight because the glue will soften the plastic some. Clean and roughed up mating surfaces work best. Sounds like a pain in the ass, but its not that bad. Could just say **** it and use the screws. :rolleyes:

Bill

I would recommend using ABS cement (the black stuff), I think its more suited for the material you are working with. And yes, remove the tape. Don't get in a hurry, let it set overnight with some clamps or tape, and don't set the clamps too tight because the glue will soften the plastic some. Clean and roughed up mating surfaces work best. Sounds like a pain in the ass, but its not that bad. Could just say **** it and use the screws. :rolleyes: Bill

Or you could use the heavy duty doublesided sticky foam tape as I recommended above. Yeah, you do have to remove the wimpy double side stuff that comes on the thing. But other than that, it's as easy as falling off a log. No worries about plastic formulation. No mixing of chemicals, no clamping, no muss no fuss.

...or you could use the butt ugly screws.