Fault Code

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TARKIO

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I hit 10,000 miles on my 08 FJR and I notice a fault code "0" simultaneously appearing in the left lower corner of my speedo. A Google search revealed code translation for higher numbers for UK models. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Safe Riding

A couple of days ago I hit 10,000 miles on my 08 FJR and I notice a fault code "0" simultaneously appearing in the left lower corner of my speedo. A Google search revealed code translation for higher numbers for UK models. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Safe Riding
try this:

with the key off and the kill switch on, hold both the select and reset buttons in together, turn the key on (while still holding them in) continue to hold the buttons in for 8 or 10 seconds, the display will then show Diag.

Once you see that release the buttons, and then press them in again until the display changes

it should read d-01 at the bottom right and you will see probably a 16 or 17 or smething close to that above d-01. That is the starting postition for the diagnostic mode. D-01 is the reading from the throttle position sensor. Once you see that in the display, just verify that you are where I describe by rolling the throttle open and closed, you should see the 16, or whatever number your started with increase as you roll the throttle open all the way up to 100 when you roll it all the way open.

Once you are there leave the key on and leave the kill switch in the on position push the right hand button and you will see d-70 hit it again (repeat pushing) until you see d-61

d-61 shows you the active fault code in memory

check to see if there is a number there

now this is a unique situation because normally there is a zero there indicating that there are no codes, check to see if there is a number besides 0 if there is look that code up and see what it refers to.

If there is a zero displayed there, I suggest flipping the kill switch from run to off and back to run again (that is the method to clear a stored code)

after that press the left soft button and get to where you see d-62

d-62 shows the total number of stored codes in memory, that should also read 0. If it shows a 1 or a 2 then operate the kill switch once more from run to off and back to run again if there were Ny other number but zero there before it should now read 0 and should have cleared the code history

turn the key off now and the run switch to off and then try turning the key back on and you will now be out of diag mode, and be able to start the bike normally. If the zero comes back again while your riding, well I'm not really sure what to tell you honestly, because as you said there isn't a fault code zero listed in the book. I'll look into it a little when I vet back to my garage in a while and see if I can come up with anything better than this for you

have you done any work to the bike or had any done recently, anything else acting funny, running ok?

Thanks for your reply; I contacted my local dealer & Yamaha Headquarters (who just read from the owners manual) and said there is nothing abnormal with the "0" shown by itself in the speedo fault display window. Nothing was added to the bike since the cruise control last year and the bike starts & runs normally. It is simply odd that it appeared exactly at 10,000 miles. Will see what happens when the bike hits reserve whether the "0" will reappear after I fill her up. I will then follow your suggestion:)

Safe Riding
try this:

with the key off and the kill switch on, hold both the select and reset buttons in together, turn the key on (while still holding them in) continue to hold the buttons in for 8 or 10 seconds, the display will then show Diag.

Once you see that release the buttons, and then press them in again until the display changes

it should read d-01 at the bottom right and you will see probably a 16 or 17 or smething close to that above d-01. That is the starting postition for the diagnostic mode. D-01 is the reading from the throttle position sensor. Once you see that in the display, just verify that you are where I describe by rolling the throttle open and closed, you should see the 16, or whatever number your started with increase as you roll the throttle open all the way up to 100 when you roll it all the way open.

Once you are there leave the key on and leave the kill switch in the on position push the right hand button and you will see d-70 hit it again (repeat pushing) until you see d-61

d-61 shows you the active fault code in memory

check to see if there is a number there

now this is a unique situation because normally there is a zero there indicating that there are no codes, check to see if there is a number besides 0 if there is look that code up and see what it refers to.

If there is a zero displayed there, I suggest flipping the kill switch from run to off and back to run again (that is the method to clear a stored code)

after that press the left soft button and get to where you see d-62

d-62 shows the total number of stored codes in memory, that should also read 0. If it shows a 1 or a 2 then operate the kill switch once more from run to off and back to run again if there were Ny other number but zero there before it should now read 0 and should have cleared the code history

turn the key off now and the run switch to off and then try turning the key back on and you will now be out of diag mode, and be able to start the bike normally. If the zero comes back again while your riding, well I'm not really sure what to tell you honestly, because as you said there isn't a fault code zero listed in the book. I'll look into it a little when I vet back to my garage in a while and see if I can come up with anything better than this for you

have you done any work to the bike or had any done recently, anything else acting funny, running ok?

AWill see what happens when the bike hits reserve whether the "0" will reappear after I fill her up.
Hold it, hold it, hold it....

Are you saying the "0" appeared when you hit reserve?

If I remember on my Gen I (it's been quite a while since I drove it) when the display reads "0" when you hit reserve, that only indicates you've gone "0" miles since the ECU determined you're on "reserve". The Feej shows miles counting UP to empty, not DOWN to empty, so assuming you're getting 40mpg, when your display reads "0", you've got 40 miles to fill up.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, it's not displaying a "fault code," it's displaying how many miles you've gone since your bike hit "reserve."

But it's late, and I could be misunderstanding what you're saying. :)

'Howie

The fault display window showed "0" when I still had half a tank of gas and the "0" suddenly appeared at the moment the odometer hit 10,000 miles. I am nearly on reserve and should be filling up this weekend. Will see what happens when I go on reserve to confirm whether the "F" will appear in place, and whether the "0" will rear itself once again when I fill her up. Yamaha says that "0" was always there in the error display window but I think their "receptionist" ( I mean tech support person) is wrong.

AWill see what happens when the bike hits reserve whether the "0" will reappear after I fill her up.
Hold it, hold it, hold it....

Are you saying the "0" appeared when you hit reserve?

If I remember on my Gen I (it's been quite a while since I drove it) when the display reads "0" when you hit reserve, that only indicates you've gone "0" miles since the ECU determined you're on "reserve". The Feej shows miles counting UP to empty, not DOWN to empty, so assuming you're getting 40mpg, when your display reads "0", you've got 40 miles to fill up.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, it's not displaying a "fault code," it's displaying how many miles you've gone since your bike hit "reserve."

But it's late, and I could be misunderstanding what you're saying. :)

'Howie