Favorite eats and using the GPS to find them

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
This is something I've been thinking about for a little while, cause I hate crappy food. :p

I going to try to build a database using the mapsource software supplied with my Garmin 2730 to create a list of good places to eat while on the road. So the plan is to input everyones suggestions of favorite places to eat, and them distribute the mapsource file for anyone who wants it.

The reason for this is because 9 out of 10 times I'm entering an uncharted area and would like to know where some decent nosh is without having to roam around a new town trying to find it.

So with this in mind, if you have a favorite place to eat, list the name, address and type of food and maybe why you like it (price point, good seafood, whatever?) and I'll start plugging in the information.

I'll post up some local killer (in a good way) restaurants this evening. :dribble:

This is something I've been thinking about for a little while, cause I hate crappy food. :p
I going to try to build a database using the mapsource software supplied with my Garmin 2730 to create a list of good places to eat while on the road. So the plan is to input everyones suggestions of favorite places to eat, and them distribute the mapsource file for anyone who wants it.

The reason for this is because 9 out of 10 times I'm entering an uncharted area and would like to know where some decent nosh is without having to roam around a new town trying to find it.

So with this in mind, if you have a favorite place to eat, list the name, address and type of food and maybe why you like it (price point, good seafood, whatever?) and I'll start plugging in the information.

I'll post up some local killer (in a good way) restaurants this evening. :dribble:

Slightly off topic. First, I have the Garmin and it is a great product. I also picked up the Lowrance iWay for my motorcycle and business travel. On nice thing about it is a skinnable interface. This means you can modify some files on it and create your own interface. For example, use it with gloves or a night vs day color scheme.

However, it also has the ability to create new buttons and searches. One guy created his and has a "subway" button on it, so he can find all the near by subway restaurants. Now, subway is ok, but not my first choice. So, you can customize it.

I know, doesn't directly help you

Just so it it doesn't turn into a CA guide :p Here's some good out of the way spots in the upper midwest.

Dunes Saloon, Grand Marais, MI

https://www.grandmaraismichigan.com/LSBC/index.html

Foods is just on the good side on average but their beers are worth the ride. On the eastern end of the Pictured Rocks National Shoreline.

The Library Brew Pub, Houghton, MI

https://www.librarybrewpub.com/

Food is very good, beers are equal or better. Houghton is a cool small town with a college flair. It's on the way to Hwys M41 and M26 in the Keweenaw Peninsula, excellent roads!

The Angry Trout Cafe, Grand Marais MN

https://www.angrytroutcafe.com/

Specialty is of course seafood. Fresh fish flown in daily in addition to local catches. Very good wine list, OK beer selection, eat outside right on Lake Superior.

The Gunflint Tavern, Grand Marais MN

https://www.gunflinttavern.com

The food is eclectic, a little heavy on the sprouts for my tastes but it's not all like that. Beer selection is excellent, knows how to pour a Black and Tan, good wine list. Has music some weekends but it's a rather small space so if you don't like the performers it can suck. I did see dueling bag pipes there once.

Schwarz's Supper Club, St. Anna WI

https://www.schwarzsupperclub.com/reviews.htm

Off the chart steaks!! Beef you'd pay $50 plus for in any big city is less than $25 here. Not far from Road America race track so race weekends can be busy. WORTH THE WAIT!

The Trail Center Lodge, 30 miles west of Grand Marais MN on the Gunflint Trail.

https://www.trailcenterlodge.com/lodge.html

Backwoods restaurant with very good food breakfast, lunch and dinner. Monster pancakes, eat three and they're free. My favorite is walleye and eggs.

This is not meant to be a regional thing, I'll plug in good food from anywhere. Being a resident in Northern Cali is where I'll try to fill the gaps.

First I'll try to cover the bases.

Le Cheval

1007 Clay Street, Oakland, CA 94607-4025

510-763-8495

Vietnamese restaurant - I only go to downtown Oakland for one thing and this is it!

Zachary's Pizza

5801 College Ave.

Oakland, CA 94618

(510) 655-6385

1853 Solano Ave.

Berkeley, CA 94707

(510) 525-5950

San Benito House

356 Main Street, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019

650-726-3425

My favorite, the hot pastrami sandwich, made with awesome fresh house-baked wheat bread. :dribble:

Voted best sandwich in Half Moon Bay for 10 years! B)

Woodside Bakery and Cafe :dribble:

3052 Woodside Rd.

Woodside, CA 94062

Awesome food and killer pastries to boot.

Cafe Claude

7 Claude Lane,

San Francisco, California 94108

415 392 3505

French Restaurant in the financial district of SFO - Great place to take your SO for a romantic night out. :wub:

The french onion soup, fruit and cheese plate and the cassoulete are particularly tasty.

Lotus Cuisine of India

704 4th St

San Rafael, CA 94901

(415) 456-5808

Medium spice chicken tikka masala, word. They also have a cool retractable roof.

Royal Thai :dribble:

610 Third Street

San Rafael, CA 94901-3355

415 485 1074

Fish Market

3150 El Camino Real

Palo Alto, CA 94306

PH: (650) 493-9188

The cioppino here is off the charts and enough for 3 people.

Miyake

140 University Avenue

Palo Alto, CA 94301

Japanese cuisine with an enormous selection of sushi.

Enough for now, I'm getting hungry. :dribble: :D