Feejer has landed!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifter125

Reaction score
I brought home a beautiful black FJR yesterday finally after weeks of waiting. Love it! I installed throttle meister, grip puppies, sliders and highway pegs last night. Wife is happy for me, but pissed that I woke her up at midnight to show her my work. Dunno what the big deal is there. Anyway...I'd like feedback on my install of the highway pegs. I'm concerned about clearance...the left side specifically is the same height off the ground as the lowest point of the peg. Am I asking for trouble?

DSC01627.png

DSC01626.png

DSC01625.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm concerned about clearance...the left side specifically is the same height off the ground as the lowest point of the peg. Am I asking for trouble?
IMO you are.

Looks like they are way too low if you are an aggressive rider in the twisties.

I don't have highway pegs, but you will find plenty of people here who have crashed & blame them.

I only know of one that says they caused a crash and without knowing the story I won't speculate. They do look a bit low the way they are installed. Most I have seen use a straight peg with out the offset. I have a peg lowering kit on mine and they touch down first so I back off at that point. If you are in the twisty stuff keep them up or take them off if you are the road racer type.

I've touched the heads of my BMW boxer engine to the ground through a turn at 40+mph without really noticing it (track day). If it weren't for a friend telling me he saw sparks, I might never have looked.

I'd be very skeptical about hearing a crash was caused by highway pegs unless the riders foot was on them at the time.

Keithaba's crash and footpeg-related discussion that followed:

Clicky

You can also copy the following into a search for more info:

"Wild Bill"

And congrats on the beautiful new ride!

Bob

Thanks for all the replies / links. I think I'll keep the pegs right where they are...on the shelf.

the pegs are for long distance anyway,not canyon carving,thats why on mine i just put an acorn nut over the footpeg bolt until im ready to use the pegs,its only 2 nuts.

Was thinking about those. Declined to buy them as I tend to scrape the regular foot pegs and don't really need those things scrapin too.

Thanks for all the feedback. Update: Installed Muzzy exhaust, PCIII (disconnected CO2), F2P garage door opener, reflective bag decals, battery tender lead and Synergy heated gear lead. Glad to get all that over with...heading out Saturday for a long ride.

DSC01633.png

DSC01634.png

DSC01635.png

DSC01636.png

There is more than one instance of folks who have crashed because of these. I used to have a set on my bike. I took them off & gave them away. Not because my highway pegs touched down. There was 2 reasons: because the brackets that attach to your engine torqed the engine cover in a bike drop allowing engine oil to leak out. Not a comforting thing. I took away the possibility that they could render my bike unrideable if something bad happens. Since I normally ride far from home, this was important.

Also, I know 2 folks personally that have pogo'd using these... & that is just the folks that I know. That was 2 reasons enough for me to remove them.

If you insist on having them, I'd remove the extensions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful bike shifter.

Have a great time on your trip.

Be sure & keep an eye on that Muzzy, they are supposed to have this problem corrected;

100_0391.jpg

Beautiful bike shifter.Have a great time on your trip.

Be sure & keep an eye on that Muzzy, they are supposed to have this problem corrected;

100_0391.jpg
Thanks for the heads-up...my setup doesn't look much different than the example above...minus the scratches. I made a short 20 mile loop through some Arkansas twisties during lunch today and am happy to say that I had no issues. She's new and am still keeping the R's under 4k so I'm not pushing it real hard yet either though.

Damn.....
Whole lotta work into "fixing" a bike before you even know if you like it as is. I hope you really enjoy that fine machine!
It was a little bit of work, but I enjoy that too really. I get a little anxious with boxes lying around and just have to see what's inside...then I think I'll just do one thing, then another...you know. I thought the bike would be here a month ago so I've had a lot of time to read the forum and get caught up in all the cool things you can do to the FJR. It's a blast and I really do enjoy it.

Latest posts