Feejer on the Track

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap1945

Reaction score
Those of you that have followed my adventures this season have read my first three track day reports from Grattan Mich. I now take you to the Mid Ohio Track at Lexington Ohio.

When I come to the Forum I often wonder how many of us get to try out the hard core side of the sporting nature side of our scoots. Operating from 4 or 5 grand up to the rev limiter smacking clutchless upshifts nailing an apex at 130 and climbing. Blipping the throttle to downshift while braking and hearing the snarling, muffled roar of the 1300cc torquester as it matches road speed with the help of some marvelously powerful linked binders that allow for surprisingly late breaking for such a heavy beast Powering second gear at an apex from 4 grand and accelerating on massive torque out of a right hander while feeling , and hearing your peg feeler being ground to a nubbin and now you're at 8 grand.. Still in second setting up for the next turn: a left. Easing off the throttle, scooting over on the saddle so your butt is hanging off the left, and remembering the instructors words and making sure your head is also out there, over your hand as you look through the turn easing off the brakes and adding throttle setting up the suspension then leaning hard left and from 5000 RPM the beefy thoaty roar gurgling out of the Feej engine compartment is music because by now you KNOW that it was designed for this, thrives on it and takes it in stride. No sooner does the tach get to 9000 grand, you ease off the gas and press a finger or two into the brakes for proper entry speed for the next corner.

Take your Feejer to the track ,...You will have a blast and be amazed at its capabilities.

Yes, I ride novice. Yes, the Feej is not a real track star.. but it does it . Several times during my two days (Oct. 1 & 2) I have had riders come up to me and say : " I cant believe I was passed by a touring bike"

MUST MUST MUST get your suspension properly adjusted or you will grind more than peg feelers.

Those of you that have followed my adventures this season have read my first three track day reports from Grattan Mich. I now take you to the Mid Ohio Track at Lexington Ohio.When I come to the Forum I often wonder how many of us get to try out the hard core side of the sporting nature side of our scoots. Operating from 4 or 5 grand up to the rev limiter smacking clutchless upshifts nailing an apex at 130 and climbing. Blipping the throttle to downshift while braking and hearing the snarling, muffled roar of the 1300cc torquester as it matches road speed with the help of some marvelously powerful linked binders that allow for surprisingly late breaking for such a heavy beast Powering second gear at an apex from 4 grand and accelerating on massive torque out of a right hander while feeling , and hearing your peg feeler being ground to a nubbin and now you're at 8 grand.. Still in second setting up for the next turn: a left. Easing off the throttle, scooting over on the saddle so your butt is hanging off the left, and remembering the instructors words and making sure your head is also out there, over your hand as you look through the turn easing off the brakes and adding throttle setting up the suspension then leaning hard left and from 5000 RPM the beefy thoaty roar gurgling out of the Feej engine compartment is music because by now you KNOW that it was designed for this, thrives on it and takes it in stride. No sooner does the tach get to 9000 grand, you ease off the gas and press a finger or two into the brakes for proper entry speed for the next corner.

Take your Feejer to the track ,...You will have a blast and be amazed at its capabilities.

Yes, I ride novice. Yes, the Feej is not a real track star.. but it does it . Several times during my two days (Oct. 1 & 2) I have had riders come up to me and say : " I cant believe I was passed by a touring bike"

MUST MUST MUST get your suspension properly adjusted or you will grind more than peg feelers.
Snap !!!

You Rock !!!!!

Can't wait to give it a try myself ....

You pulled off all the luggage, right ?

Snap -

APPLAUSE!

Could you post some comparative lap times of the FJR and anything else for reference? Would be facinating to see. I ran MO in the 70's in SSA and G Prod (SCCA). You're right, I need to get out there on the FJR and take that quantum leap in skillls that always seems to come with good prep, good instruction and 20 laps to make it gel.

I plan on doing the track thing at mid ohio next year. Anyone done it on an AE before - track driving I mean!

What suspension settings did you use? How did you dial it in?

Yes, I did Miller Sports Park this year on my AE. I had a professional suspension guy do it for me that day for 40 bucks AWESOME!! and my Penske Triple Clicker was on the money after that

The FJR has SOOOooooo Much Torque that you must be careful coming out of the corner and standing it up. I was leaving "Blackies" my instructor said and I did not even know it.... this is NOT a repliracer, be careful...... I got my BRAKE PEDAL "STEM!!!" ground off that day, hanging off, to hell with pegs

then I crashed 2 up in a turn on the street, too much and too many things in the mix. I love my bike.... I am getting a track bike as I have reached the limit of the FJR and need to love my beast on the street and track.... I admit, I crashed by rhinking I was,,,,,,, Fast...... I did not save it for the track....

I did not get hurt nor did my pillion (wife) Slid 150 Feet I was a lucky SOB!!!

be careful folks Cannot wait to get out htere again (my bike is in the shop.... 6 weeks now)

Cdog

I've been to Mid Ohio twice on my FJR in the novice class. It is way too much fun. I had a blast and learned a lot. Would do it again, but I have had a true sports bike (Honda 600 RR) and I sure miss having that light handling and bit more speed, without dragging parts all the way around the track.

Be careful... you might end up selling the Feej and building a track bike! I will be at Jennings for 2 days at the end of the month.

Be careful... you might end up selling the Feej and building a track bike! I will be at Jennings for 2 days at the end of the month.
Or Keeping the Feej and Buying a track bike :p

Mike, I am doing what you warned me about, I am spending all my money on the bike and will hopefully have some left for track days.

I hav e been looking at track bikes. SInce I am so close to Miller Sports Park, They are in adundance here. I can get a 600 safety wired with racing plastic for as little as 2K. I am seriously thinking about that!!

SNAP HERE, When I went to my first track day at Grattan after a few sessions my instructor advised me to get my suspension "set up right", which I did, for $70.oo trackside. It was money well spent. If you go on the track it is a night and day difference, less hard part scraping and more confidence in the turns, but as I have said before; 'kiss your peg feelers good bye'. ($35.oo a set) The feej doesn't have no high rear sets. Also the inertia/weight thing REALLY makes you learn the importance of shifting your body weight to make the beast lean over and turn. After a few laps you will be sweating like a madman into your leathers from jumping back and forth across that saddle manhandling the Feej. I can assure you that by the end of your first track day you will have a new appreciation of 1300cc's of torque and horsepower. On the straights you'll be amazed at what you can whizz by as well as how great the brakes are for late breaking and trail breaking.

I am 62yo and after five seperate track days am looking for a gixxer 750 track scooter now that the Feej is paid for. Also a lap timer!

BTW reading "A Twist of the Wrist 2" by Keith Code and/or "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch BEFORE you go to the track will prove to be very helpful.