FilterMAG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzkenoman

Reaction score
I just installed a FilterMAG on my oil filter, just wondered if anyone else had a chance to open up an oil filter to see how much junk you can accumulate with these devices?

If I'm not mistaken, there was some discussion about the rear drive pumpkin drain bolt having a magnet, and people (think it might have been FJR4ME) buying spares and using them for the oil drain bolt... thinking that they could catch metallic particles that way. Or do I have that backwards... :blink:

I just installed a FilterMAG on my oil filter, just wondered if anyone else had a chance to open up an oil filter to see how much junk you can accumulate with these devices?
Installed a filtermag on my oil filter before I drove 06 out of the showroom. I also figured it would be the best time to install this, since most metal shavings would occur before the 600 mile service. When I brought it in for the 600 mile service, the mechanic stated there was next to no shavings in the oil that was removed from the pan. We did not break open the old filter, but upon removing the filterMag & emptying the remaining oil there was a fair amount of shavings. I assume that more of the shavings were caught in the filter & would not "flow" out when the oil was removed.

I also reinstalled it on the new K & N oil filter.

Smoke a tire......It's cancer free!

Rider did a review this month on this product so I thought I would bring back an old thread instead of starting a new one.

The search feature actually works!!!

Anyone buy one of these lately? Is it worth $40 to have some extra peace of mind?

Discuss......

I don't know. I suppose it couldn't hurt. Of course you could also change your oil and filter every 500 miles for the added piece of mind also. Lot's of bikes out there without one of these doohickey's running just fine. It's your money. You want to piss it away, it's certainly within your rights to do so. Just as it is to resurrect dead threads!

I have one.

Installed it on the Hayabusa after the initial oil change at 25 miles, and again at it's normal 600 mile oil change.

I cut open the filter at the 600-mile oil change.... that was a treat. <_< Did not see any obvious metal shavings, but the area immediately under FilterMAG did have a noticeable dark grey paste-like substance (kinda like BikeEffects describes above).

After installing the Yoshimura 4-2-1 system, the clearance between the engine case and header pipes is so small, I could no longer remove/replace the oil filter if it had the FilterMAG on it, so it sits in the drawer for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. I suppose it couldn't hurt. Of course you could also change your oil and filter every 500 miles for the added piece of mind also. Lot's of bikes out there without one of these doohickey's running just fine. It's your money. You want to piss it away, it's certainly within your rights to do so. Just as it is to resurrect dead threads!
I have the Scotts filter...went through my records...I am currently on my 22nd oil change...35,000 miles on the Cooker. NAFO was the longest I have ever gone without changing oil, 4,000 miles. Let the bike drain overnite, and slowly poured off the oil into my recycle bucket. Pan was clean on the bottom. The magnet on the filter had the slightest dark gray paste on it. Oil drain plug magnet(replaced the original with a rear drive plug) also had the same light paste on it. I think this thing is pretty clean inside. I did go with the full synthetic Yamalube for my NAFO trip. Back to the regular dinosaur Yamalube now.

Unless something is really wrong I don't think you should see any "large" metal pieces in the oil.

I have used a magnet from a windshield wiper motor that has a rounded shape and sticks to the oil filter on my FJR. I've use this magenet on abour 4 other bikes. Don't know if it does anything, especially becuase it doesn't have the FilterMag's "magnetic flux amplifier technology" but on the other hand it didn't cost me $40 either.

It would be worth it on a Hardley®, where the errant piston pin or cylinder chunk is a normal occurrence, but the filter itself stops anything large enough to really hurt things, it's more a warning device should the tranny start disassembling itself. Trouble is, the material has to get past the oil pickup screen, then through the pump to find it's way to your magnet-whereas the drain plug magnet is outside the pressure system. Ideally, one would use a magnet screwed to the outside of the oil pan itself, like many auto transmission pans have (though theirs is epoxied to the inside). Unscrew the magnet, drain the oil, and those 2nd gear teeth come flowing out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Scotts filter...went through my records...I am currently on my 22nd oil change...35,000 miles on the Cooker. NAFO was the longest I have ever gone without changing oil, 4,000 miles. Let the bike drain overnite, and slowly poured off the oil into my recycle bucket. Pan was clean on the bottom. The magnet on the filter had the slightest dark gray paste on it. Oil drain plug magnet(replaced the original with a rear drive plug) also had the same light paste on it. I think this thing is pretty clean inside. I did go with the full synthetic Yamalube for my NAFO trip. Back to the regular dinosaur Yamalube now.
Unless something is really wrong I don't think you should see any "large" metal pieces in the oil.
No need to let it drain overnight; you still have a quart of dirty oil in the engine. An oil change requires 4.2 or thereabouts for replacement with oil filter change (or in your case, a clean and re-install) and total capacity is 5.2, the extra quart is residual oil that resides in the tranny and other nether regions. No big deal, but just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't.

You want to piss it away, it's certainly within your rights to do so. Just as it is to resurrect dead threads!
Geez! I can't catch a break around here!!! Start a new thread on an old subject or bring back an old thread, cant win either way!! :dntknw:

However, I did figure it would be one of those things that people would have vastly different opinions on. Not that there are many opinions around here!!! :biggrinsmiley:

Thanks for all the comments though... Didnt help any but thanks!!! :blum: