final drive temp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groofish

Reaction score
howdy all I have an 05 and the final drive is getting very hot ( not going to leave your hand there long ) . Dealer sold me G/Wing oil last year, put about 3800 miles on. My question is , what is normal , do they usually run this HOT

Yup what --G said. I did mine at the recommended interval and did not like the look of the oil. I am now on a 8k change interval.

Buy the Yamaha recommended oil. It is not cheap but 1 quart goes a long way. I don't recall of a a single issue with the FJR final drive. Also at each tire change remove final drive, clean it and lube it. Easy peasy.

Be happy you don't have a BMW final drive.

So what are acceptable temperature ranges for an FJR final drive?

As long as metal ain't melting, all is good!

For 370,000 miles now I have been changing the oil at the 16,000 recommended interval. I think it is foolish to change early. The FJR's final drive is bulletproof. Sure a seal may go bad here or there, but the fundamental design stout.

As we have said in another thread that is most likely deep in NEPRT somewhere, final drives get hot. Crawl under the back of your truck (or someone else's truck!) after it has been in use and feel the rear differential. It will burn your hand. The harder it has been working, the hotter it gets.

So what are acceptable temperature ranges for an FJR final drive?

As long as metal ain't melting, all is good!

For 370,000 miles now I have been changing the oil at the 16,000 recommended interval. I think it is foolish to change early. The FJR's final drive is bulletproof. Sure a seal may go bad here or there, but the fundamental design stout.
For some, every oil change or two might mean once a year... the 16k is OK and definitely once a year minimum. I mostly agree changing early is a waste and environmentally unfriendly. Every oil change, no way. If it's clear, it's OK, if it's really cloudy and murky and doesn't look like oil any more, moisture has gotten in the vent if you ride in heavy rains over a period of time (most don't). If it's getting dark, it's natural that aluminum will darken it, won't hurt anything. If it's black, I'd change it. No way you need to do it every oil change unless your one year is up, but do check the level. I'd just check the condition mid-season and maybe last quarter of the season, and it it looks like oil and decent, leave it. IF I had a Beemer, same deal... maybe I'd halve the interval, but their problem was they did not design in enough capacity, alledgedly rectified with the newer ones.

So, how many do their proper maintenance schedule for brake fluid and rear end oil on their cages?? Hmmmmm, thought so.

Most parts that have swirly metallic thangs and tight fits things moving around creating friction get rather warm even with oil or fluid. Just sayin'....
unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts