Finally Installed Autocom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

War Machine

Zero Altitude Test Pilot
Reaction score
I have wanted an Autocom for about 10 years now & I want you to know it was worth the wait & the price. It was a straight forward installation & actually set up easier than I thought it would. Even when I paired the optional bluetooth component with my Motorola Krzr, I only had to do it once!

Here is a pic of where I installed it:

AutocomPlacement2.jpg

Yes its mounted atop of my alarm & you can see the bluetooth doggle just below the brace for the rear carrier.

At the same time I also installed a Jensen weatherproof AM/FM & NOA Weather band Radio on a steering head stem mount:

JensenRadioAntennaMast.jpg

I decided to go with the Jensen JHD01- Radio because its compact, has a built in 15 watt amp, an aux in to connect an MP3 through it. I live in NYC & there is an abundance of great radio stations that I can listen to while commuting. On long distance rides the MP3 takes over, boosted by the 15 watt amp directly into my Autocom.

On one of my first rides with my new farkles I went to a store to get a few things on my Honey Do list & although the skies were grey the forecasted afternoon thunderstorms hadn't arrived yet. I no sooner come out of the store & power up the bike & the NOA Weather alert breaks in over the FM station I had tuned to give me a heads up on an incoming Thunder Cell. Ten minutes later I pull in the garage just as the rain drops started. So much for a ride after going to the store.

You may notice I installed the radio antenna in Panel C of the fairing.

So far I am extremely pleased with the way the Autocom functions. Last weekend while on a ride along the Delaware River with my buddies, I received a call from my wife & it was crystal clear. The Autocom beeps & mutes all music with the incoming call. Sweet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post. I'm surprised it would fit that high under the pillion saddle. Keep us posted.

Love Autocom! looking to put it on mine too. Just trying to figure out what radio system to install, XM or sirius, but I guess in a lil' while wont matter, maybe wait until the merger happens and then get it set up. I'm curious to know how the bluetooth werks! Haven't heard any negative comments from anyone yet so that's a plus.

Like Phil said, keep us posted I'm a wantin' to pull the trigger soon!

Merger already happened, doesn't matter which you buy as you can add content from the other for a few $ more (coming soon). I have Sirius . . .

Nice write up not sure how I missed it a month ago, but anyway since it's been a month can you give a long term review on the Jensen JHD910? I'm mainly interested in the reception AM and FM. I've been using a small walkman run through the autocom but am getting tired of changing battery, poor reception, unplugging it and so on.

Do you leave it on all the time or unhook it if parking in a questionable area?

Have you tested the waterproofing yet or are you just avoiding the rain with the weatherband? B)

TIA

Do you have or will you have bike-to-bike with your setup?

Then Jensen is just a receiver so the only bike to bike would have to be through a cell phone. I saw a honda FM receiver on here at some point that I think may have had a CB built in but I've searched it to death to day here and on the net and couldn't find any info on that unit.

I'm curious about the 15 watt amp plugged into the Autocom to boost the music. Can you explain this set up a little more??

Thank you.