First 500 mile ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawdog

Reaction score
A little help from the Veterans please: I am embarking on my first 500 mile trip during the last week of March. I will be riding from Lewisburg, WV to Huntsville, Alabama on my FJR 1300. What clothing etc are recommended by you guys this time of year. I will send the majority of my luggage with friends ahead of time. I am about to buy a riding suit, gloves, etc This is my first long ride. (I hear the snickers of my using the word "long" ride) Any advice to get a newbie in comfortably is greatly appreciated!

I'll leave the recommendations to those in the know that live in the area.

But I will say if you live in Lewisburg. You' SUCK!

:jealous:

Gear that is windproof/waterproof and comfortable. Key!

Depending on your suit, think about an insulating layer underneath. Wv is not that warm in March!

Music for the ride will let you eat miles without noticing.

Motor cycle jacket with padding and winter liner. You can remove liner in warmer weather. Check for zippers to open up during warmer weather 2 front on arms and across the back.

Riding pants, subjectively some peeps wear over clothing some wear nothing under neath. you choice, size will matter.

GOOD RAIN GEAR, GOOD RAIN GEAR, GOOD RAIN GEAR. Can't say enough. Buy large enough to fit over your jacket and pants.

Water proof boots, enough said. I prefer hunting boots to gain the height some prefer riding boots. your choice.

GPS can save a lot of aggravation.

I won't tease you for now on the 500 miles. Enjoy the trip. ;)

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you going to do after lunch??? :rolleyes: Somebody had to do it, Just kidding. Enjoy every minute and take some pics for those of snowed in.

Pack everything you think you will need. Take as much money as you think you will need. Then throw out half the shit you packed and take twice the money. Should be ok then.

Pack everything you think you will need. Take as much money as you think you will need. Then throw out half the shit you packed and take twice the money. Should be ok then.
:lol: ...so true. The weather is going to determine what gear you need. As long as temps are in the mid 40's and upward have waterproof gear with liners and some winter gloves and you'll be fine. Remember layers are your friend, you can always take gear off but it's tough to put something on that you don't yet have.

Good luck on your first 'long' trip.

--G

As far as gear goes, we ride mostly the Pacific Northwest where conditions may vary between 105 degrees and 20 degrees, snow, monsoon, calm and tornado winds. We often take off in the morning spring or fall when it is 30 degrees or so, but may encounter temps up to 80 as region and elevation changes. The point: try to gather gear that can be used in varying combinations for any type of weather. Silk liners for socks and gloves, for example, take almost zero room but greatly enhance dealing with cold when necessary. A jacket with zip off shell and mesh underneath, with waterproof and/or quilted liners makes for great versatility. Besides a versatile jacket, I pack a thin capilene undershirt along with cotton T-shirts and a good flannel, all to be worn in combinations underneath the jacket, depending on the requirement. The same for the bottom: thin capilene long underwear, heavy polypropolene long underwear to go over that, leather pants, etc., all to be worn in whatever combination is required. Sure, we are often rearranging the clothing during the day as weather and temperature conditions dictate, but we are generally able to be comfortable no matter what.

Might not be so cold, not familiar with area...but her are some tips. 500 miles is a distance, but not an unbearable run, it'll go quicker than you think.

Base Layer clothing is key. You can wear it and it will allow you to go from varying temps without the moisture taking your energy away. When you layer too much clothing and reach warme temps, it will zap your energy very fast and fatigue will set in.

If the almanac says temps around that time of year will be cool but not too cold, You will just need a heated vest; it pays great dividends in case you run into some good cold weather. With the liner, you want have to overpack with layers.

I can wear Hot Chilly's during riding and then inside underneath regular pants, they breathe very well. So those under some riding pants with a liner should be just fine, you can remove liner if it gets too warm.

Good wool/or moisture wicking socks will pay dividends.

Do you have heated grips? If not, get some good waterproof gloves. I think cyclegear is still selling the fieldsheer Eskimo's for $60.00 and they do well in temps 15F to 50F, I always pack an extra pair of gloves; thinner leather ones for warmer weather.

Key here when weather is going to vary or uncertian.....moisture wicking base layer materials next to the skin.