First Gear Denail 3/4 Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spklbuk

Reaction score
Does anyone haver experience with the First Gear Denali 3/4 length jacket? I like the better abrasion resistance and the snap collar but am concerned about the weather resistance and durability of the front chest pockets relative to the Kilimanjaro.

On the other hand, the Kilimanjaro has better venting and drape and an enduring reputation.

Advice much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using the Kili since I got my FJR in '05. I like it a lot but the vents do very little to allow air to flow through because they are in behind the fairing and not exposed to the wind. Don't let the vents carry much weight when making your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the Kili 4.0 and I love it. Tons and tons of storage, very nice quality stand alone fleece jacket (liner) which goes in and out quite easily. Decent venting but you're limited behind the FJR fairing as stated above. It does have a waterproof liner which does a pretty good job in the rain.

As an example, friday at EOM it rained on us for at least 3-4 hours and while the jacket was in fact wet, I wasn't. It's not the greatest in the prolonged summer heat but generally with stock 06A shield in the lowest position I can cool off pretty well.

For Fall, Winter, Spring it is a superb jacket. For hot summer months I would go with a mesh that allows better airflow and isn't as heavy.

I bought a Scirroco ( no longer made) , which was at the time a "step up : from the Kili-- but it never caught on because it was far too heavy to be considered an all-season. Additionally , its bulk takes some getting used to, and the vents do nothing. But I ride in sub-freezing, and this baby is cozy, and dry.

The Killi lives on, it is still their signature jacket.

As expected, it sounds like the Kili is well known and generally well received, though rockmurf has some reservations in the damp and the vents are so-so.

For Fall, Winter, Spring it is a superb jacket. For hot summer months I would go with a mesh that allows better airflow and isn't as heavy.

because it was far too heavy to be considered an all-season. But I ride in sub-freezing, and this baby is cozy, and dry.
But these 2 comments surely clarify the decision. It comes down to intended use. Wish I could look at them side by side w/o playing the return game. Either way it sounds like I'll be back in late spring asking for advice on mesh gear!

Sincere thanks gentlemen.

Does anyone haver experience with the First Gear Denali 3/4 length jacket? I like the better abrasion resistance and the snap collar but am concerned about the weather resistance and durability of the front chest pockets relative to the Kilimanjaro.
On the other hand, the Kilimanjaro has better venting and drape and an enduring reputation.

Advice much appreciated.
I use the Kilimanjaro Air and have found it to be the absolute best jacket I have used. It flows air well in the hot summer months and the rain liner has managed to keep me dry during several downpours in Colorado during their monsoon season. It is warm enough down to about 35 degrees if the temps don't stay there for more than about an hour or so. This is a great jacket for 3 seasons and can be used for limited times in the winter months.

The armour is not as good as some of the other jackets I own like the Fieldsheer, but is acceptable. Fieldsheer has some good choices as well.

Tony

Advice much appreciated.
I use the Kilimanjaro Air and have found it to be the absolute best jacket I have used. It flows air well in the hot summer months and the rain liner has managed to keep me dry during several downpours in Colorado during their monsoon season. It is warm enough down to about 35 degrees if the temps don't stay there for more than about an hour or so. This is a great jacket for 3 seasons and can be used for limited times in the winter months.

The armour is not as good as some of the other jackets I own like the Fieldsheer, but is acceptable. Fieldsheer has some good choices as well.

Tony
Thanks Tony. I'll give them both the Air and Fieldsheer a look see.

Jim