First Gear Kilimanjaro Vs Cross Moto Jackets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Been thinking about getting a textile jacket and pants. I tried on a First Gear Kilimanjaro and liked the fit and the adjustable waist band, but it did feel a little bulky.

I also saw the Cross Moto online and like the features but haven't seen one in real life yet.

Anybody have either of these? I'd like to know how you like them. Are they comfortable? Good for both hot days and cold - I ride in temp's between 90 degrees F on down to 35.

Are they truly waterproof so I don't need to carry raingear?

Any other comments or opinions? I have seen the Aerostitch threads and I like what people have said about their products so I am also considering them but they are pricy and I don't really like buying without trying it on.

Thanks,

I am on my second kilimnajaro and have been very pleased. they have never leaked unless I didn't have something closed up right. The only complaint I have is the yellow one that I bought for visibility faded very fast but other than that they are great. I also use the HT overpants with equal results.

On my 2nd kili here too. I have the first generation Kili and the one I have now (the Kili 2) has improvements that are well worth the change. I just gave my (laundered) kili 1 to my future SiL so that he'd have a jacket to wear with his new bike, so while a little worn (broken zipper pull) it's still servicable.

Both have served me well for many tens of thousands of miles.

I ride in a Tourmaster Cortech GX Air jacket in the warmer weather but needed something for colder riding. After looking at a few different brands/models, I decided on the Kili in Aug but a Lrg/Tall had to be backordered. Got a call today from the local dealer that it is on the way to the distribution center and will be in my hands next week.

It did seem a bit bulky when I tried one on but bought it anyway. I'll post up a note after I get some experience riding w/ it.

I see that I can save a few bucks by buying from Motorcycle Accessories Warehouse. Since I don't see very many jackets in the shops around here I'll probably have to buy online anyway.

I tried on an XL Kili at the dealer and it seemed a little big. They didn't have a Large to try at the time. Is it better to get one that fits snug or loose? It seems that a little bigger is better since it has an adjustable waist.

Same question for the over pants. I wear 34 waist for normal pants. Do I get the 34 HT over pants and expect them to be made large to fit over my regular pants or do I need to get 36 or 38 to fit over? Any reason not to get them a size too big? I have not found a dealer with the HT over pants to try on yet.

:haha: Hey, lookee. I'm a squadron leader. Think I'll catch up to TWN?

Last edited by a moderator:
Geezer - I've got the HT Overpants and got them the same waist as my street clothes and they fit great. At least for me, if I got the next size they'd be too baggy and too long. Jim

Is it better to get one that fits snug or loose? It seems that a little bigger is better since it has an adjustable waist.
Get it loose. you want air flow in the summer and the ability to layer in the winter.

I tried on an XL Kili at the dealer and it seemed a little big. They didn't have a Large to try at the time. Is it better to get one that fits snug or loose? It seems that a little bigger is better since it has an adjustable waist.
Same question for the over pants. I wear 34 waist for normal pants. Do I get the 34 HT over pants and expect them to be made large to fit over my regular pants or do I need to get 36 or 38 to fit over? Any reason not to get them a size too big? I have not found a dealer with the HT over pants to try on yet.
@ Geezer,

My wife and I both run the First Gear Kilimanjaro jackets (hers is one style generation older than mine, and the newer ones are a little better) and I also have the matching overpants, which I got this year after running the jacket for 1.5 years. I was hoping to supplement the jacket with pants that would complete the waterproof outfit, and thusly, eliminate the need for raingear.

As much as I desire a Roadcrafter suit, it was an easier pill to swallow buying the pants, in the hopes of gaining the needed features for a reasonable add-on price.

I have no regrets at this point, and have used the outfit over thousands of miles and in sufficient weather (read: rain, hail, heat, snow) to feel good about the purchase.

I, too, had the same question about the pants, and fortunately, was able to try before buying, since my pant size (38-tall) was in stock. I also have the XL-tall jacket, and find the sleeves to be adequately long for me, which is always a challenge. As with the jacket, the pant liner does take up most of the roominess, and is more comfortable to use with the liner removed. It really has to be cold for me to want to use the liners.

At first, I thought the jacket to be a little bulky, but that was mostly a function of never having owned a longer jacket that doesn't stop right at the belt. It has not been a problem, and the fit is quite nice. I also like how the jacket goes over the pants for keeping the rain out.

In a hard rain, the outer shell becomes visibly wet, but leak-through only happens if I neglect to properly close all vents, which I sometimes leave open if it looks like the rain won't last, in which case, a little water gets into the arms. No biggie.

Good luck,

Shane

Thanks for the replies on the Kili jacket and HT pants. I am going to try to visit a couple of bigger dealers this weekend and see if they have anything I can try on before buying. If I don't find anything to try I'll go with the internet order and hope for a decent fit. It is getting cold here during the dark morning commute.

I have a couple of old leather jackets which I wore with my old bikes but they have exposed brass zippers and I don't want to rub that on the tank.

I wear size 34 and bought the 34 over pants, the fit is pretty good. They are sized accordingly to fit over your pants. I tried on the size 36 and looked like Santa Claus.

Regardig the HT pants: I have the First Gear HT Airs. I wear a 38 pant and the 38 HT Air fits perfectly over my street clothes. If anything, they give you just a little extra. I've only had them for a short while and about 2,000 miles, but they've worked out great so far.

Regarding the Kili jacket: I'm looking for a jacket myself, so I need additional insight. For those you who have responded that you have the newer style Kili, do you mean the Kili Air? Or did FG update the original Kili? I currently use the FG Mesh Jacket. While the rain liner in the GF Mesh helps a little, I need a jacket for cooler weather. My short-list includes the FG Kili, the Tour Master Advanced, and the Joe Rocket Alter-Ego. I leaning towards the Advanced simply because it looks better (at least in the ads).

For those you who have responded that you have the newer style Kili, do you mean the Kili Air? Or did FG update the original Kili?
The latter. There is a FG Kili II out now.

Last Spring, I opted to get the Kili Air model and it has proven very versatile. Idaho to Florida trip, it worked well, even in temps around 90, as long as you are on the move. Was glad to have the liner at times, esp thru the Rockies.

Quality is very good, zippers very stout. Even with the mesh pieces on the Air, I've had no leakage through the membrane liner in the three or four rain storms I've hit. The FJR with a Rifle screen provides most of the protection needed anyway, as long as you are on the move.

I'm trying to make one jacket do all, so I'll be using the Air with the liner in place as my primary gear thru the winter, (20-min commute). So I'll likely push the cold limit meter a bit. The Kili II would be the jacket of choice, of course, if fighting the cold was your main concern.

Sizing on Kili jacket runs big: the Medium fit me very well, while on other brands I tried: Olympia, Tourmaster, Joe Rocket, I needed Large.

Sizing on HT pants runs true: size 34 works well over 34 jeans. Great for commuting.

Based in part on the recommendations of the forum I decided to get the Kilimanjaro II jacket and HT pants. I found them on special at MotorcycleCloseouts for about $350 for both and $10 for shipping.

They showed up today and I am very happy with the fit and the product in general. Thanks to you all for your help.

BTW, I also got a pair of ICON Patrol waterproof gloves from

CycleGear for about $55 and I like them as well. I got the all black ones and already got to test them out for waterproof ability. They work.

:D Have had my Kili Air jacket and HT 'Air' pants for about 2 weeks now. Ridden in driving rain with no apparent leaks or other problems. It's bulky, but keeps me snug, warm and dry. It seems plenty warm (thought about the standard Kili as opposed to the Air), and the 'Air' will serve me better in spring and summer riding. With the Tourmaster winter elites and the Cee Bailey +4/+3, life is good! 'Newer' generation V-Strom handguards are in transit from 'Guru' Glen as we speak. ;)