First good ride on new (to me) FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzuber76

Reaction score
Just got back from a quick "orientation" ride on the FJR. This bike is awesome! I definitely made the right decision in trading my VTX for the FJR. I was able to hit some twisties and every curve found me thinking, "I could have taken that faster." The engine is smooth as silk, wind protection is great, and this bike is fun. Only issue I have is the windscreen all the way up puts the wind hitting the top half of my helmet. Didn't get any buffeting, it was just loud. This may be my helmet (HJC CL-15), or the fact that I'm used to hearing a constant roar from my exhaust on the VTX. Also, it seems as though I needed to double clutch occasionally, especially from 3rd to 4th gears. I pulled the clutch and pushed up on the shift lever, but no engagement in the higher gear. Anyone have this issue, or am I doing something wrong? I'm still getting used to the seating position differences, but once I get that figured out this bike will be a lot more comfortable for me. Here are some pics:

DSCN1076.jpg

DSCN1077.jpg

DSCN1080-1.jpg

You may need to adjust the shift lever a bit or just get used to it. If the lever doesn't return all the way to the normal position it won't shift. Make sure your boot is not holding the lever up a bit. Sometimes the lever pivot point will get full of s@#t and not return all the way. It is easy to get off and lube it up.

on helmet noise, all of my riding friends (and I) wear earplugs whether we're on the FJR or sportbike.

shifting; haven't heard that complaint in person. General way to solve shifting problems when

moving to a new bike / new type of bike is to: shift >4000 rpm and change the oil to your particular flavor.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may need to adjust the shift lever a bit or just get used to it. If the lever doesn't return all the way to the normal position it won't shift. Make sure your boot is not holding the lever up a bit. Sometimes the lever pivot point will get full of s@#t and not return all the way. It is easy to get off and lube it up.
That's what I had happen after I adjusted my shift linkage. It was a little high so I lowered it to the middle of the marks. Then my lazy foot kept it up. I'm leaving it there and just going to remember because it has really helped in smoothing out my shifting with this bike.

Scooper

Congrats on the new blue....Way to enjoy it.

The shifting will get smoother as you become adjused t the tensions on the shift lever. As stated before, must be totally pulled in on clutch...Try practicing intentional Clutch pull shifting until you find the sweet spot..which will probably be all the way in...keeps you from getting a lazy left shifting hand.

Good Riding.

Congrats on your new bike. Looks really clean from your pics. I, like UHOH, wear ear plugs when I ride so I can't comment about the noise. My aftermarket Remus Hexacone exhaust still sounds great even with the plugs(just something to consider in terms of aftermarket exhaust if your into that). My shift lever from the factory was good to go. However, my motocross bikes have had to be adjusted from factory settings as riding positions differ. So adjusting the lever may fix your problem.

On another note, sounds like your orientation ride went well. Try adjusting your suspension for you and your riding experience may get even better. I rode my FJR with factory-set suspension and I was disappointed as this was my first ever ride on the award-winning FJR street bike. After looking at the forum, I changed my suspension settings and my bike rode tens times better.

Happy Trails!

Congrats on your new FJR! Looks to be in great condition. The foot shift lever can be adjusted a little between the two marks although I doubt that will change anything with your shifting. Also, check the setting on your adjustable clutch lever and try changing it a number or two.

Enjoy your new ride!

I always ride with ear plugs. Besides protecting your hearing, it makes for such a quiet, pleasant ride that significantly reduces fatigue. I also use in-ear earbuds plus an ipod for music. An ijet clicky with bluetooth handlbar controls makes adjusting volume, advancing tunes, or stopping the music when necessary very convenient. The S-plug earbuds clicky work great for me; good sound and no problem with full-face helmet on.

I use the taller Yamaha touring windscreen and usually only put it up about 2/3--no buffeting and the noise isn't bad. Many others here use other extended screens from Cee Bailey, CalSci, Rifle and others. Your make and model of helmet will also make a big difference in the noise level; not all helmets are the same.

Study up on the Master Yoda Riding Position clicky; it'll improve your riding skills and enjoyment on a sport or sport-touring bike, especially when coming from a cruiser.

Hope these suggestions help. YMMV. ;)