First Long Distance Trip (Kind Of)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmayhew

Reaction score
My Wife and I are taking the FJR to the beach this weekend. It's about a 5 hour ride, 300 miles. I realize this is nothing for most people but I've only been riding for a few months.

Just curious what accessories, packing tips you guys have. I've bought rain gear, tank bag, touring trunk and a crampbuster. All should be coming in next week.

What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
My Wife and I are taking the FJR to the beach this weekend. It's about a 5 hour drive, 300 miles. I realize this is nothing for most people but I've only been riding for a few months.
Just curious what accessories, packing tips you guys have. I've bought rain gear, tank bag, touring trunk and a crampbuster. All should be coming in next week.

What am I missing?
Swim trunks, beach ball, sun screen...

Camping or motel?

We've actually never overnighted together on the bike, although I've ridden a few trips. Anyway, I keep rain suits and gloves in the right side bag camera bag in the left sidebag, although that's a full DSLR set, lenses, flash, etc. If you carry a point-and-shoot you don't need that space. Clothes and spare shoes (can't wear boots everywhere!) in the top case, more in a tank bag. Were we camping I'd strap a tent onto the top case and sleeping bags on top of the side cases. I hear they make good armrests for the pillion.

If by "beach" you mean the P.C. area, drop a PM if you feel like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to make you worry, but I carry a tire repair kit with a small air compressor. Have fun!

make sure the only thing she packs is....... nothing! Nothing like the wife naked all weekend!

In addition to the cell phone, cash and credit cards, I'd hide an extra key somewhere on the bike. Wire ties work well for this and don't hide it under the seat.

After 50 years of riding I would say 80% of my problems have been due to tire problems and about one half of those occurred before I began carrying a plugging kit and some type of inflation device (compressor or co2 cartridges).

OBD :rolleyes: