First ride on my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradman

When Life Throws You A Curve..... Lean Into It
Reaction score
I'm short so, I had some of the cushion taken out of my seat by a friend. Prior to that, I didn't feel comfortable riding the bike on my "tippie toes". ha ha. Prior to this bike I had a Suzuki Boulevard C50, 2005 for four months and I put right at 5k miles on it.

I took the bike out this morning and put two hundred miles on it. What an incredible ride! Not only am I not tired, or fatigued, I am ready to ride again tomorrow. My butt didn't hurt and I didn't have to stop. What a powerful performance machine! I almost bought a new Concours and I am so glad I went with the FJR. I see now that we drive these bikes and the cruisers are more ridden. Like we sit in the cruiser and on the sport/touring bike. So much thought went into this motorcycle. This bike was clearly created and updated by riders, not admin folks in an office.

I did notice that my right hand kept going numb and sometimes my left hand would also. Does that mean that my handlebars are too low?

Thanks to the forum members who unknowingly assisted me in making my decision! I have been on it for one short ride and love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
bradman,
Congrats on the FJR purchase... t is an incredible machine to ride. Here are some links that may help you with your hands. etc:

https://www.casporttouring.com/store/mercha.../Yamaha_FJR1300

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=18322

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=451851

Many more Happy Miles and Smiles to ya!

Thank you very much! Riding it today makes being in the "doghouse" worth it! My wife is still mad about me buying the bike! LOL! Ha ha!

:yahoo:

I'm short so, I had some of the cushion taken out of my seat by a friend. Prior to that, I didn't feel comfortable riding the bike on my "tippie toes". ha ha. Prior to this bike I had a Suzuki Boulevard C50, 2005 for four months and I put right at 5k miles on it.
I took the bike out this morning and put two hundred miles on it. What an incredible ride! Not only am I not tired, or fatigued, I am ready to ride again tomorrow. My butt didn't hurt and I didn't have to stop. What a powerful performance machine! I almost bought a new Concours and I am so glad I went with the FJR. I see now that we drive these bikes and the cruisers are more ridden. Like we sit in the cruiser and on the sport/touring bike. So much thought went into this motorcycle. This bike was clearly created and updated by riders, not admin folks in an office.

I did notice that my right hand kept going numb and sometimes my left hand would also. Does that mean that my handlebars are too low?

Thanks to the forum members who unknowingly assisted me in making my decision! I have been on it for one short ride and love it!
I had the same problem with hands going numb I installed a set of heli risers they changed the angle of the bars plus made them about a 1 1/2 higher. Solved my problem.

I had the same problem with hands going numb I installed a set of heli risers they changed the angle of the bars plus made them about a 1 1/2 higher. Solved my problem.
Thanks, I'll check those out also. Did you have to extend any cables or anything or did everything still reach?

Thanks, I'll check those out also. Did you have to extend any cables or anything or did everything still reach?
You'll have to loosen some cable / line stays and reroute, but the Helibars will fit without any other changes.

Good Luck!

--G

Hi Bradman,

I to rode a SUZUKI C50, It was a fun ride but I felt it needed another gear.

I also experience pain/numbness in the right hand(SOME OF WHICH WAS DUE TO RIDING MY BELOVED GEN1 2004 FJR).

The throttle spring mod helped heaps, then CO2 adjustment, followed by THROTTLEMIESTER CRUISE CONTROL.

(Only pain is now self inflicted.)

Regards

Surly

:ph34r:

I hear you bradman. I rented an fjr while on a family vacation and fell in love. It has been a great combo of power, agility, comfort and price for me.

You'll have to loosen some cable / line stays and reroute, but the Helibars will fit without any other changes.

Good Luck!

--G
I have been thinking about risers also. Do you mind telling me what brand you choose? Did you put them on yourself?

Mac

Make that a third that upgraded from a Boulevard C50. I missed the power and cornering, so I jumped on a deal when I found it. Congrats on the new bike.

Make that a third that upgraded from a Boulevard C50. I missed the power and cornering, so I jumped on a deal when I found it. Congrats on the new bike.

Thanks Lagerhead,

You know that was a great bike and I really liked it, but after riding this FJR, well you know. ha ha!

Congrats, I was also considering the Connie, but I will pick up my 08 FJR later in the week. I am looking forward to sharing experiences.

While risers may improve your comfort, the biggest thing to getting rid of the hand/wrist fatigue is loosening your grip on the bars. As you become more "in tune" with your new bike you will begin to relax and most of that hand pain will subside.

To accomplish that on your right hand, you'll want to reduce the spring tension of the throttle return spring, as suggested. Since the FJR has two cables (one to open the throttles the other to close 'em) there is no real need for a hefty return spring.

That accomplished, some folks will also use some sort of a throttle lock or electronic cruise control to help out with the long steady speed rides. Some will also employ a Throttle rocker / Wrist rest type of device, which allows you to completely release your right hand grip and still operate the throttle.

Personally, I use both a Throttle Rocker and a Vista Cruise. Being 6'2" and long in the torso, and also because I ride on a Russell Daylong that raised my seat height 1", I've also added a set of Heli bar risers to reduce the reach down to the bars and get my back to a "normal" forward angle. Shorter folks may not need risers to get the same back and arm angles, especially with a stock or lower seat height.

The other really important thing to do is get into the habit of supporting your weight via your legs, not your arms and hands. Google on Master Yoda Riding Position (MTRP) for the full skinny on that. Using that is the basis for learning to ride all day in comfort on a sport or sport touring bike.

While risers may improve your comfort, the biggest thing to getting rid of the hand/wrist fatigue is loosening your grip on the bars. As you become more "in tune" with your new bike you will begin to relax and most of that hand pain will subside.
To accomplish that on your right hand, you'll want to reduce the spring tension of the throttle return spring, as suggested. Since the FJR has two cables (one to open the throttles the other to close 'em) there is no real need for a hefty return spring.

That accomplished, some folks will also use some sort of a throttle lock or electronic cruise control to help out with the long steady speed rides. Some will also employ a Throttle rocker / Wrist rest type of device, which allows you to completely release your right hand grip and still operate the throttle.

Personally, I use both a Throttle Rocker and a Vista Cruise. Being 6'2" and long in the torso, and also because I ride on a Russell Daylong that raised my seat height 1", I've also added a set of Heli bar risers to reduce the reach down to the bars and get my back to a "normal" forward angle. Shorter folks may not need risers to get the same back and arm angles, especially with a stock or lower seat height.

The other really important thing to do is get into the habit of supporting your weight via your legs, not your arms and hands. Google on Master Yoda Riding Position (MTRP) for the full skinny on that. Using that is the basis for learning to ride all day in comfort on a sport or sport touring bike.
Thanks for the information, I'm checking it out now.

I hope some of the suggestions on this board work for you. For me...it was surgery to repair carpal tunnel. Had that done on Memorial Day weekend. Now...no numbness! Glad I did the surgery!

I hope some of the suggestions on this board work for you. For me...it was surgery to repair carpal tunnel. Had that done on Memorial Day weekend. Now...no numbness! Glad I did the surgery!

Ouch! That is painful from what i hear! :dribble:

Ouch! That is painful from what i hear! :dribble:
I had a whole lot of anxiety over the procedure. It ended up being a really easy process and was not too painful at all. I would do it again if I had to. All I know is that all of the problems I had with the hand are gone and riding is much more enjoyable.

I hope you find the fixes you need to eliminate the numbness when you ride. Surgery should be a last resort. I waited almost 8 years before I did this and now wish I took care of it years ago.

Good luck!!!!