first trip on the FJR-- Tomorrow

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebike

Reaction score
I am leaving for a 5 day jaunt on the FJR in the morning and I am getting EXCITED
yahoo.gif
. It will be my first trip on the FJR which is a 2012 purchased new April 26th. I have already put over 650 miles on it and had the first service done a few lil mods also done (waiting till this trip is over to see what may be next)

• Day 1 I will head up I-75 from Ocala to Lake City FL and then hit secondary roads till I reach the end of Day 1 in Toccoa GA (about 435 miles).
  • Day 2 Once there I will ride the next day with a friend who has an ST1300 hitting among others -- Wayah Rd and the Cherohala Skyway on my way to see a client in Kingston, TN.
  • -
  • Day 3 Riding from Kingston, TN back to Toccoa GA via the Tail of the Dragon, Hellbender, 28 to Franklin NC, thru Highlands (via Bridal Viel Falls) then to Warwoman Rd and finish
  • -
  • Day 4 Riding from Toccoa with my ST1300 friend --- full day of twisties his choice
  • -
  • Day 5 Riding back to Ocala

Been motorcycling since I was 4 but I guess since it it the first trip on a the FJR I am very excited. I have done a similar trip on my prior bike (FZ6) but this one is way more comfy and more stable.

I will be updating from my phone with pics at : Mikebike's Motorcyle Blog which is new for this trip.....

Normally I do my long trips on a bicycle built for two East Coast on a Tandem

I can think of no better place to "Honeymoon" with an FJR than the Cherohala Skyway. I can't think of a better trip for such a wonderful motorcycle east of the Mississippi River.

I can think of no better place to "Honeymoon" with an FJR than the Cherohala Skyway.
+1

That's a great route you have carved out there Mike. We ride those roads regularly. Keep an eye out for the the occasional gravel wash on the Wayah Rd, especially near the lake. At least that's been my experience on the Wayah.

By the way, there will be three of us on FJR's in the Suches area on your Day 4. See if your buddy will bring you over that way and run GA 60. Although North GA has some great roads, it doesn't get much better than that one IMHO. Maybe we'll stumble into you guys along the way. There will be a Black Cherry '07, my Grey '08 and I can't recall but a Blue '05 or '06 in the group. Just look for the three guys with the biggest grins on their faces! :D

Mike, srounds awesome! New bike, rider new to the bike ... have fun but take it easy until you fully know this machine. It will not disappoint. And you first day sounds pretty long. Beware of fatigue. Be safe, have fun.

We are getting another rare window of incredible weather here in the Northern Rockies. We'll be doing about 1,000 miles of Idaho and Montana Friday-Sunday. Yeehaw!

Sounds like an exciting riding route. Cherohala has always been one of my favorite roads also. I've ridden it on all my previous bikes but I've only had my FJR for about 6 weeks. I definitely need to do the Skyway on it! Be safe and have fun!

Love your choice of roads, have a great time. Having driven those roads many times on lighter bikes I found I had to back off a bit on my heavier FJR. Took me several rides to build my confidence on the tight twisties. So just be careful and build your skills before getting too aggresive. I'll be doing a FJR trip this month departing Florida for San Diego via back roads and back. Should be fun.

Best wishes Bill

Love your choice of roads, have a great time. Having driven those roads many times on lighter bikes I found I had to back off a bit on my heavier FJR. Took me several rides to build my confidence on the tight twisties. So just be careful and build your skills before getting too aggresive. I'll be doing a FJR trip this month departing Florida for San Diego via back roads and back. Should be fun.

Best wishes Bill

This trip will be on the "middleweight' by comparison... having done it on the Electraglide ....then FZ6 and not the FJR
clapping.gif

Bill I will be doing the reverse of your trip on the tandem in just over a year..... we have previously bicycled the other 3 perimeters of the US .... have a great trip when you do it
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad that's not like the bar I hang out in that has the "Free Beer Tomorow" sign.

Hope the weather treats ya right because I know the bike will. Very Cool, looks like some good roads.

Glad that's not like the bar I hang out in that has the "Free Beer Tomorow" sign.

Hope the weather treats ya right because I know the bike will. Very Cool, looks like some good roads.
Nope saddle bags loaded and small tank bag ready ... she is clean and fueled up --- about 6am I pull out and head north
assassin.gif

You are bringing back fond memories of my first multi-day trip on the FJR. I rode down from NY to Florida to visit my dad, and then northwest to the Cherahola and the dragon. Very good memories. Make sure you stop and take pictures along the way.

Sounds like a great trip. I bought my 07 fjr from a guy in ocala about a month ago. Im about 3 hours away in south Ga. I normally take a week trip in the summer but the guys that normally go with me cant go this year. Last year we went to washington dc then went over to Shenandoah valley and rode the blue ridge parkway all the way back.

I am leaving for a 5 day jaunt on the FJR in the morning and I am getting EXCITED
yahoo.gif

• Day 2 Once there I will ride the next day with a friend who has an ST1300 hitting among others -- Wayah Rd and the Cherohala Skyway on my way to see a client in Kingston, TN.
  • -
  • Day 3 Riding from Kingston, TN back to Toccoa GA via the Tail of the Dragon, Hellbender, 28 to Franklin NC, thru Highlands (via Bridal Viel Falls) then to Warwoman Rd and finish
  • -
  • Day 4 Riding from Toccoa with my ST1300 friend --- full day of twisties his choice

Well, it's just too bad you couldn't include any decent motorcycle roads in this first little jaunt... :unsure:

Jus' kidding of course. Have a great ride. It looks like an awesome couple of days.

Last edited by a moderator: