Firstgear HT Air 2.0

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubbersidedown

Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of Firstgear HT Air 2.0 after my search for the ULTIMATE mesh overpants proved overly ambitious. These offered the greatest number of the things I was looking for and seemed to be very popular among the members here.

The only thing that kept them from being ideal was the lack of substantial armor in the knees and hips. They only come with some soft foam in non adjustable pockets that might protect you from an oversized beetle at best. When I purchased these I saw that they also had a closeout on some armor replacements for a tecknic speedstar suit. SPEEDSTAR ARMOR

I was a little put off by the idea of spending $150-200 on pants only to have to spend another $30-50 on armor that should be in the pants to begin with, but the $2 clearance price for a set of REAL knee and hip armor pieces seemed like a worthwhile experiment.

The pants and armor arrived today and as I suspected the armor was flimsy and the replacement stuff was substantial but too big. After taking a pair of sheers to the four pieces of armor and stuffing them into the little nylon pockets, I am satisfied enough that I don't regret not buying Firstgear's armor, which from what I understand isn't quite a full fix.

The armor pockets are a little low in the leg of the pants, but when I am in the riding position they are acceptable. Someone with longer legs might find them a bit more ideal. I don't even notice the hip armor as it is still very thin, but firmer and more protective (presumably). It seems FG's biggest priority was comfort over protection. The stock pads probably are slightly more comfortable than the Teknic ones I've installed, but the Teknic's are by no means uncomfortable. I have not observed this, but I imagine these will be a bit warmer because they are not perforated, but other than that, the protection increase is well worth it to me, YMMV.

Just thought I would post my experiment for those of you considering or who already own pants that aren't quite as well bolstered as you would like. For a $2 fix I am pretty happy.

The only thing that kept them from being ideal was the lack of substantial armor in the knees and hips.
Just thought I would post my experiment for those of you considering or who already own pants that aren't quite as well bolstered as you would like. For a $2 fix I am pretty happy.
I have the same pants and have always thought the same thing about the knee protection especially... thanks for sharing your "fix"!

[SIZE=8pt]*goes to shop online*[/SIZE]

B)

I have the HT Air 2.0 pants. Went down in them about a year and a half ago while riding my FJ. Held up pretty well, with some tearing near the right front pocket. Not bad for hitting the highway and speed and doing some tumbling. My right leg, knee to waist on the outside was black and blue for about a month. I originally had got a pair of the HT Air 1.0 pants. They didn't come with any hip armor, so I had bought CE armor for the hips. Every stinkin' zipper pull broke off the damn things, even on the rain liner. They were replaced under warranty with the 2.0s. I put the CE armor in the 2.0 hip pockets. I think it helped.

Side note, I was wearing a Phoenix 1.0 jacket which sacrificed itself. No road rash, but the jacket was toast. RF1000 also was a victim. Gloves weren't too bad, with a minor wear thru on the palm, so I replaced them. They were Teknic Violators.

I have the HT Air 2.0 pants. Went down in them about a year and a half ago while riding my FJ. Held up pretty well, with some tearing near the right front pocket. Not bad for hitting the highway and speed and doing some tumbling. My right leg, knee to waist on the outside was black and blue for about a month. I originally had got a pair of the HT Air 1.0 pants. They didn't come with any hip armor, so I had bought CE armor for the hips. Every stinkin' zipper pull broke off the damn things, even on the rain liner. They were replaced under warranty with the 2.0s. I put the CE armor in the 2.0 hip pockets. I think it helped.
Side note, I was wearing a Phoenix 1.0 jacket which sacrificed itself. No road rash, but the jacket was toast. RF1000 also was a victim. Gloves weren't too bad, with a minor wear thru on the palm, so I replaced them. They were Teknic Violators.
Glad to hear you weren't too banged up. From your experience, do you think more substantial armor in the pants would have been a benefit, or did your knees manage to stay out of harms way on their own?

I just recently replaced all my First Gear "safety" gear with Revit gear.

While I loved the features / ergonomics of First Gear stuff, I started wondering about their "crash" worthiness after I have had several zippers fail on me (I figure if they can't use a quality zipper, I am not sure I want to trust the gear in a "downing"!

Any how, I have spent more than I care to admit on Revit gear and I am very happy!

To see the full Revit line, check out

https://www.beachmoto.com

I have purchased the following gear:

1) Cayenne Pro Jacket / Pants

2) Infinity Suit

3) Turbine Jackets / Pants

I figure short of going down, this gear should last me for YEARS!!!

Best Regards,

Shane

I just recently replaced all my First Gear "safety" gear with Revit gear.Shane
Shane,

I am very interested in the Rev'it gear.

I was planning on going to a dealer and checking it out last Monday, but couldn't make it.

I'm certainly not able to buy three different sets without winning the lottery, but am interested in the Cayenne gear.

Have you ridden in warm/hot weather with the Cayenne?

Alternatively, would the Turbine gear be warm/dry enough in cooler weather. Maybe with layers under, or heated gear?

I need to decide which line of their gear would cover the best range of temperature. (Except for the Infinity; I don't have much interest in it.)

Any opinions from you or others with Rev'it gear would be welcomed.

Thanks,

John

I just recently replaced all my First Gear "safety" gear with Revit gear.Shane
Shane,

I am very interested in the Rev'it gear.

I was planning on going to a dealer and checking it out last Monday, but couldn't make it.

I'm certainly not able to buy three different sets without winning the lottery, but am interested in the Cayenne gear.

Have you ridden in warm/hot weather with the Cayenne?

Alternatively, would the Turbine gear be warm/dry enough in cooler weather. Maybe with layers under, or heated gear?

I need to decide which line of their gear would cover the best range of temperature. (Except for the Infinity; I don't have much interest in it.)

Any opinions from you or others with Rev'it gear would be welcomed.

Thanks,

John
John,

I honestly understand your comment about winning the lottery... if my best friend (and spouse) of 27 years hadn't been diagnosed and treated for breast cancer, I, too, would have had a different attitude on the cost of the various Rev'it gear (please understand I am not knocking you, I am just saying this past year has changed my "perspective" on certain things)!

Any how, I will try and answer your questions on the Rev'it gear!

I have ridden in the Cayenne Pro from 35 to 88... the gear can go much lower than the 35. I was sweating and starting to get uncomfortable @88 this past weekend. I rode today for the first time in my Turbine gear .... it was 87 and humid in Texas... I was comfortable.

Because of Revit's cheapness, they do NOT supply

1) Upgraded back armor

2) A wind / water resistant layer

for the Turbine Jacket.

Since I already own the Cayenne Pro jacket & I upgraded the back protection, I can use them in the Turbine Jacket.

My favorite Rev'it gear in the Infinity but I am not sure how it will perform in the REALLY HOT TEXAS weather! It comes with the upgraded armor and it is very water proof! I have ridden in it from mid 40's to the middle 80's and I have been comfortable. If I didn't live in the Texas extreme summers, it would probably be the only riding gear I owned (it is that comfortable)!

Best Regards,

Shane

P.S. Since Rev'it sells @ a MAP price, please visit / purchase locally. If you have a BIG BELLY, Rev'it gear isn't going to "fit-you" (just a warning)!

I too have some Rev'it gear. I bought the Off Track jacket on sale ($450 for $75) and have been very happy with it. I will be buying a full mesh jacket at some point because as good as the vents are, they won't flow enough air in the summer heat and humidity. It is good quality stuff but is definitely cut "trim." I also have a pair of pants from them which are unvented and waterproof, which are just too hot over 60 or so with jeans underneath. Very nice stuff, but you need to try it on.

Thanks Shane,

I appreciate it. I plan on shopping at Euro Moto in Bend, OR, about 200 miles from me.

They are listed as a platinum dealer and are supposed to keep a good selection.

I'm hoping they will let me test ride some gear.

I'm sorry your wife and you had to go through that, and I can sympathize. See my signature.

I hope she is well.

On a lighter note; No I don't have a problem with a big belly.

I only have a problem with one large body part.

I don't want to get Barb, Tyler, or Old Michael all riled up, so I will leave it at that. :p

John

Glad to hear you weren't too banged up. From your experience, do you think more substantial armor in the pants would have been a benefit, or did your knees manage to stay out of harms way on their own?
Didn't seem to have any impact on my knees, so can't really tell. More/larger armor/pads on the hips would have helped a LOT. I was on a four lane in rush hour traffic, traffic came to a quick crawl at an interchange, think someone jumped lanes before getting up to speed. In any case, I was following too closely and checking mirrors when I notices brake lights. Locked the front tire, it tucked and went down on the right side. Kind of rode it down, with the right hip and arm hitting the ground first, then the helmet. I have Renntec engine bars on the FJ and it slid about 20 yards, breaking the mirror. Renntec bar was blued and ground flat, but no other damage other than cosmetic stuff on the scoop. Rode her the remaining 15 miles home.

Something to be said for ABS. Glad the FJR has it. And something to be said for the MSF guidance on following distances. (Only problem in rush hour is you get all manner of idiots jumping into gaps half as much as they need).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Shane,
I appreciate it. I plan on shopping at Euro Moto in Bend, OR, about 200 miles from me.

They are listed as a platinum dealer and are supposed to keep a good selection.

I'm hoping they will let me test ride some gear.

I'm sorry your wife and you had to go through that, and I can sympathize. See my signature.

I hope she is well.

On a lighter note; No I don't have a problem with a big belly.

I only have a problem with one large body part.

I don't want to get Barb, Tyler, or Old Michael all riled up, so I will leave it at that. :p

John
John,

Thanks for the wishes - I definitely appreciate it and Sandi is just finishing radiation and I am glad she is going to be with me for MANY, MANY more years!! According to the judge when we got married, it is suppose to be an 80 year sentence and I have told her on several occasions she is going to get out "early" no matter what :lol: !

Since you live in the Northwest, you definitely want something "waterproof" :yahoo: !

The Rev'it gear is definitely good stuff and very comfortable as long as it fits the climate you will be riding in!

Best Regards,

Shane

Last edited by a moderator: