Fixing a Flat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
After reading posts here, I went to Wally World and found the "sticky strings" to throw in. I nearly always ride solo and have never had a flat, but I know I should be prepared.

As for inflation: do you need a CO cartridge or compressor. Is it possible to use a small hand-pump to inflate a flat, or will the tire not seat?

I found a like to this, which looks like a good bargain...I've ruled out a compressor.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053...5_200278_200408

Thanks for any advice.

As for inflation: do you need a CO cartridge or compressor. Is it possible to use a small hand-pump to inflate a flat, or will the tire not seat?
While you don't NEED one....a compressor makes things MUCH easier. A hand bicycle pump will take a LONG time to use on the high volume of an FJR tire. I carry one as a backup, but hope to never use it.

I prefer the compressor, since you've always got as much air as you'll need. Even the CO2 cartridges are not ideal IMHO since depending on the type of puncture and how bad it is you may need to either re-apply a plug or keep adding air. The compressor made by SLIME is probably a very good choice to opt for.

Spud, get a compressor. You can use your battery tender hook up to run it.

Three of us were riding together when one of us had a flat. I didn't have my compressor with me, Kevin had not bought one yet but George had a hand pump. We had trouble sealing the leak. We had to pump the tire up 3 times to get it to hold. Ouch! And the time involved tripled with the hand pump.

+1 on the compressor. I carry the cartridges as back-up. I've had to use the compressor at least 4 times for flats on my bike, my wife's bike, and for helping others. Very handy to have.

I would think twice about that. I have a manual pump similar to the one in your link. It took almost an hour to pump up the tire, and that was only to 30psi so I could get to a place with a compressor. I bought the Slime pump, this one, last week, and used it Saturday as I flatted out on the way to the Barber Track. I was back on the road with 40psi in 15 minutes. I don't have an outlet on my bike, so I just connected the supplied power feed to the battery terminals and tie-wrapped it to the frame.

If you don't have the room for a compressor, you can always carry CO2 carts in various places on the bike along with stop and go plugs or strings. Problem with strings is you have to stick them in an inflated tire, this takes a compressor with the capacity to keep the damaged tire sufficiently inflated. Each CO2 Cart will pump the rear tire on the FJR a minimum of 6 Lbs once it is repaired. U can ride the bike a short distance (off the highway) with a little as 12 Lbs. pressure in the rear. Mini cans of Fix-Flat are available for bikes. Could help (possibly in combination with plugs) in an emergency with a badly damaged tire you were intending to trash anyway.

I would think twice about that. I have a manual pump similar to the one in your link. It took almost an hour to pump up the tire, and that was only to 30psi so I could get to a place with a compressor. I bought the Slime pump, this one, last week, and used it Saturday as I flatted out on the way to the Barber Track. I was back on the road with 40psi in 15 minutes. I don't have an outlet on my bike, so I just connected the supplied power feed to the battery terminals and tie-wrapped it to the frame.
That's the same one lots of us have Spud. It's cheap and dependable. Plus like Iggy says you can hook it to your battery tender feed for power. If you wanna be really creative, take the little compressor out of the pretty plastic housing and when you show it to people tell them " I built it out of an old model airplane engine...." It looks the part. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the same one lots of us have Spud. It's cheap and dependable. Plus like Iggy says you can hook it to your battery tender feed for power. If you wanna be really creative, take the little compressor out of the pretty plastic housing and when you show it to people tell them " I built it out of an old model airplane engine...." It looks the part. :rolleyes:

This is the way to go.....take the "guts" out of the compressor, wrap it up in a shop rag. It fits perfectly underneath the rear seat - back up in the tail section right in front of the tail/brake lights. Plus the model airplane engine angle is pretty cool

Get a compresor, strip it down and it will fit under your FJR seat easily along with the strings and even a Stop and Go plug kit.

I agree. I have this same kit and it fits perfectly under the seat in the big tray. I also hard wired a cigarette lighter under the seat with a 30 amp fuse. The ligher in the left fairing compartment will not handle the inflator when it is under load.

If you don't have the room for a compressor, you can always carry CO2 carts in various places on the bike along with stop and go plugs or strings. Problem with strings is you have to stick them in an inflated tire, this takes a compressor with the capacity to keep the damaged tire sufficiently inflated. Each CO2 Cart will pump the rear tire on the FJR a minimum of 6 Lbs once it is repaired. U can ride the bike a short distance (off the highway) with a little as 12 Lbs. pressure in the rear. Mini cans of Fix-Flat are available for bikes. Could help (possibly in combination with plugs) in an emergency with a badly damaged tire you were intending to trash anyway.
I do not agree. I've used the string plugs on a tire with zero air in it. They worked fine for me.

Get rid of the "sticky strings" and get one of these. Stop & Go Not that the strings don't work some of the time but these plugs work all of the time.

I had a nail in my rear tire and threw about 6 strings from that hole. They just wouldn't say put. After these "Stop & Go" kits were suggested to me by my uncle I gave it a shot. They were extremely simple to install and I've put about 400 miles on the tire now with no problems. I couldn't get the strings to last longer than 9 miles and that was with the supposedly thicker strings.

As for compressors, I have one of these. Airman Compact Compressor I picked it up at A&S Cycle in Roseville, CA. The one they are selling now appears to be a newer model but is almost identical in appearance. Mine has just a standard "cigarette lighter" type plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get rid of the "sticky strings" and get one of these. Stop & Go Not that the strings don't work some of the time but these plugs work all of the time.
I had a nail in my rear tire and threw about 6 strings from that hole. They just wouldn't say put. After these "Stop & Go" kits were suggested to me by my uncle I gave it a shot. They were extremely simple to install and I've put about 400 miles on the tire now with no problems. I couldn't get the strings to last longer than 9 miles and that was with the supposedly thicker strings.
In my experience the Stop & Go plugs work great, but only on "nice" punctures, like a nail or similar and you should use these whenever the puncture permits. However, any irregular type punctures are best plugged with sticky strings, as the S&T plugs will not be able to seal properly.

I guess this is no different than many other topics...some loveit, some hateit.

For what it is worth, I have used the sticky strings on many many puncture flats and they have never failed. The last time was on the FJR rear with a new PR2 with only about 250 miles on it. After the plug, I ran it for about a thousand miles of wicked up AR twisties with no problems. Continued to run the tire until it was toast at around 4k miles. Considering the small size and cost of only a couple bucks, to me, it is cerainly worth having them on board.

I used sticky string and rubber cement on a rock puncture I got 18 miles from nowhere on HWY50 in Nevada. I used my slime pump to get fill it up and I was on my way in about 30 minutes. I ran that tire to the cords 275 miles later (tire was almost done before the rock).

I would like to see someone shove a repair plug into a hot, deflated bike tire. Stop and go plugs are the motorcycle tire alternative.

...Not that the strings don't work some of the time but these plugs work all of the time. ...
Allow me to correct what I said. Poor word choice. What I was trying to say is that the strings may work for a little while but the plugs work permanently. I meant the comment to reflect the longevity of the repair not the ability of the plug to repair all punctures.

If the hole is too large for the plug to seal then I'm not sure I would want to keep that tire anyhow. I'm not extremely thrilled to have a plugged tire on my bike as is but since the tire had about 100 miles on it when it was punctured by the nail I have to make due.

JamesK, on those "irregular type punctures", are the sticky strings a permanent solution or do they just get you home in order to get a new tire? On the puncture that I had I couldn't get the strings to stay in for any reasonable amount of time.

Maybe it would be prudent to carry some strings along with the plug kit. It wouldn't take much room.

I have used the stickey string ( there is a string in my rear tire right now ) and keep 6 co2 bottles in my tank bag .