FJR 1300 and KTM 950

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frisson

Reaction score
Hi,

I am excited to say that I am picking up a 2006 FJR1300 soon!

I currently ride a KTM 950 which is just awesome but not great for long distance or two up.

Anyone have both bikes? What should I expect?

Also any advice on getting started with a FJR? (Tips or tricks?)

Thanks and looking forward to joining the club!

Hi,
I am excited to say that I am picking up a 2006 FJR1300 soon!

I currently ride a KTM 950 which is just awesome but not great for long distance or two up.

Anyone have both bikes? What should I expect?

Also any advice on getting started with a FJR? (Tips or tricks?)

Thanks and looking forward to joining the club!
You'll never ride the KTM again. So let me have it. :)

Frisson,

Congrat's on you '06 purchase... you and your S.O. will really enjoy it. You will really enjoy the Adjustable Windshild that is not found on the 950 Adventure along with a working gas guage and longer range with this terrific 6.6 gallon tank.

Just don't forget while on the FJR it is not advisable to jump curbs, drive down a mud laden path, or try to jump 5 feet in air off dirt mounds... leave those feats to the venerable 950! Forgetting this could cause you big problems!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Sonora. I can't say much about the KTM but long rides on my DR 650 were 150 miles or so. With the FJR that is your before breakfast miles. Enjoy!! :D

Congrats on getting the best year FJR! Ride the FJR for awhile to get used to it...then begin customizing it to your liking. The KTM will definitely see a lot of downtime now.

--G

Congratulations! A great combination of bikes I think. For the FJR there is a wealth of information in the GENII FAQ section of the forum. Consider joining the FJR ASSISTANCE List of dozens of riders across the country listed by state who will help in an emergency. Check out the group rides for US and Canadian FJR rallies.

At least one Katoom 950 is coming along to this:

Copper Canyon Trip 2010

Seven of the nine slots are taken by fellow FJR riders.

Searches are easiest in Google in the format: <<search query>> (space) site:fjrforum.com

Again, best of luck and if we can help let us know how we can assist you in enjoying the fastest blue color available!

Last edited by a moderator:
multiple bikes is the way to go. i love having an assortment kinda like golf clubs. what do i need today? you will find the transition to the fjr easy. the ktm feels snappier but the fjr will kill it in any speed contest and do it in comfort. take a while to get used to the forward riding position and i think you will like it. if your tall enough for the 950 you may want to look into foot peg lowering.