FJR-AE or K1200GT???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmotion

Reaction score
As some of you might know, I owned a FJR 1300A and totaled it. I'm now waiting for delivery of a FJR 1300AE. While I'm waiting curiousity is setting in on the BMW K1200GT. I've heard that some of the K models have had certain reliablity issues but the newest K 1200GT may have addressed them. I know that the BMW cost more than the FJR but cost is not the object if the K-1200GT is truly superior than the FJR in terms of comfort and handling cinsidering that performance has to be close with the new 152HP motor. I had a lot of farkles added to my 2005 FJR, which included J&M CB/intercom, XM radio, radar detector, radar laser jammer, Garmin 2610 navigation, Corbin heated seat, heated grips and Scorpio alarm, wiring for cell phone, cigarette lighter and aux 12volt accessory outlet,

I kinda like the idea that most these goodies can come installed on the BMW ( at a cost of course).

I guess the question is doe anyone out there have or have experience riding the K-1200GT and can compare it with the 06 FJR. All prejudice aside which is the best cycle to ride? Cost no object.

I've been intrigued by the K12GT as well, but until it comes out and people can form some impressions, it'll be pretty tough to make fair comparisons. For sure, the new BMW 4-cyl is an awesome motor. Styling looks nice too.

Taking price as no object, though, I still struggle with the value equation. That bike is gonna 20,000 typically equipped. I might be wrong in the end, but it seems there are many many ways to waste money better than that. And I am a long-time BMW auto owner, going on two decades.

Don

Uhm, reliability issues have been addressed? I think they're still using the same final drive and I've not read that they've addressed the ABS turning off without warning. But then, I've been wrong before. :blink:

I've ridden the GT. I was looking at them before i bought my ST1300. Great Looking bike with a very friendly motor. Very rough at idle, but smoothed out at the touch of the wrist. It generates power in a ifferent way than the japenese bikes. Its a hell of alot of fun. Thats about all i have to say on a positive note for the bike.

Price, Wind protection, ergos, brakes, etc. etc. .., we're not even close to whats offered in a honda or yamaha. i'm only 5'6 and the adjustable windshield would cover my needs. Seating postion was way forward and put alot of pressure on your wrists and no risers / adjustments are available. One of the saddle bags was about half the size of the other due to the way they designed the exhaust. I couldnt see going any distance on it, but it would be fun to ride around town. Build quality was excellent. Its an interesting bike, but IMHO there are better choices.

GreyGoose

Grey, there's a revised K12GT due in the dealers over the next few weeks. It's got the new 4 from the K12S. It looks to be quite a bit more of a tourer than the prior K12GT.

Don

2006_k1200gt.jpg

I obviously did not know that. It thats the picture of it, it's very intriguing. They definitly needed an update to that bike (given the competition). Two things you can count on that wont change;

High price

Limited dealer network

The rest will just have to wait and see.

thanx

GreyGoose

Checkout the k1200s forum if you want more info on the k1200gt.

https://www.BMWK1200S.com/07-K1200GT.pdf

As for me...

I went to the Motorcycle show in Long Beach and here are my observations of the K1200GT vs. the new FJR1300.

FJR - Faster, thinner, more comfortable seat and riding position - price $13k regular/$15 k auto clutch.

K1200GT - 5 more HP but also more weight giving it slower 0 to 60. The bike is wider and it is considerably bigger than the FJR. With ESA they told me they estimated it $20k.

Other than these few items they were almost identical. Both are shaft drive, both have adjustable 2 piecce seats, both have adjustable handles, both come with easily removable hard luggage standard, both have abs linked brakes, both go about 300 miles on one tank of gas. The k1200gt has the glovebox on the right. The FJR has glovebox on the left.

I was really hoping the k1200gt would be like the k1200s but with friendlier ergos, standard system cases, and better seat. Instead they went with something that is more in the class of the Honda ST1300 and is more similar to K1200LT in my humble opinion. For $5k less. I ended up putting a deposit down on an FJR1300AE. I won't have ESA, but I'd have a computer controlled clutch.

Last edited by a moderator:
As some of you might know, I owned a FJR 1300A and totaled it. I'm now waiting for delivery of a FJR 1300AE. While I'm waiting curiousity is setting in on the BMW K1200GT. I've heard that some of the K models have had certain reliablity issues but the newest K 1200GT may have addressed them. I know that the BMW cost more than the FJR but cost is not the object if the K-1200GT is truly superior than the FJR in terms of comfort and handling cinsidering that performance has to be close with the new 152HP motor.<...snip...>

I guess the question is doe anyone out there have or have experience riding the K-1200GT and can compare it with the 06 FJR. All prejudice aside which is the best cycle to ride? Cost no object.
I'm not sure if you're discussing the option of the "old" K12GT, which is a slightly dressed up version of the K1200RS or whether you're referring to the new K12GT that is derived from the new K1200R and S.

If it's the older model that you're considering, it's a fine touring bike with a bit of sport emphasis, but it really didn't handle well below about 50mph and were a handful in the twisties because of weight. When the suspension was properly tuned (read: Ohlins installed and freshly rebuilt) it did handle like it was on rails, though. Somewhat costly maintenance, although reliability is high. Possible weak points are the rear differential (on very high mileage bikes, say over 70,000) and frequent (every 10-20,000 miles) front and rear shock rebuilds (presuming that the replacement shocks that you buy are rebuildable) if you're a high mileage rider.

If it's the newer model, it hasn't yet hit the dealers showfloor. They will be priced somewhere around $18,500. I would expect that bike to have great power, pretty good reliability and good handling. It will also likely come with pretty expensive maintenance bills (a feature of most BMWs). Personally, I find very little to like about the designs of David Robb (BMW's principle designer) and don't find the new K12GT particularly attractive. Will it be in any way head and shoulders better than an FJR? Nope, just different and more expensive.

After just over 200,000 miles on BMW bikes (four of them) in the last eight years, I put my money down on an FJR1300A last September (still waiting for delivery, but apparently I'll be able to finally pick it up this coming Saturday). Priced nearly $5000 less than any Beemer that I'm interested in, less costly to maintain, gorgeous color (the A model in 2006), nice model refresh and styling, and I prefer a slightly more "sport" riding position to an upright sit.

Cheers.

Rob