FJR, camels, and beer drinking goats - in Nov Rider Magazine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsyrocket

Reaction score
My article about a trip on my FJR down to Big Bend National Park is in the Nov. issue of Rider Magazine The article includes a great pix of my FJR posing with a camel along side the road, true confessions of dropping the prized bike in gravel (ouch), and even a beer drinking goat. I had fun writing it & am pleased with the coverage it gives our favored toy. If you don't find a hard copy, it'll be on their website soon.

Laura Melvin aka Gypsy Rocket

Excellent job

Just got my Rider Mag and read your article, great read. Plan on doing the same trip at the end of the month

BG

Irvine, Ca

Very nice article. Good to know that a fellow forum member is contributing to such a great magazine!!

Keep it coming!

gypsyrocket,

Haven't seen it yet. Looking forward to it. Any idea when its gonna hit the net??

WW

Great article. Many thanks as it brought back some memories of my trip in 2004. Brand new FJR also that I "dropped" in the mud going into motel at Study Butte. Nothing as slippery as West Texas mud.

Thanks again.

Bruce

Great article.

Thanks for posting here I enjoyed (and enjoy) living vicarously through other's travels.

Gerry in Spokane

My article about a trip on my FJR down to Big Bend National Park is in the Nov. issue of Rider Magazine The article includes a great pix of my FJR posing with a camel along side the road, true confessions of dropping the prized bike in gravel (ouch), and even a beer drinking goat. I had fun writing it & am pleased with the coverage it gives our favored toy. If you don't find a hard copy, it'll be on their website soon.Laura Melvin aka Gypsy Rocket

+1 on the beer, don't know nuthing about no stinkin goats. All I know is they lie.....Big Bend was fun....Kathy's Kosmic Kowboy Kafe was a hoot.

Read the article couple of days ago. I was wondering if it was written by one of our bunch when I saw the FJR in the picture. Now I know. Good job! :yahoo:

We go to Big Bend almost every April. It is a neat ride once you get there. Had the opportunity to give several beers to the original Clay Henry before he died and whoever came in and bought the town and screwed it all up. Now it just ain't the same and we usually just cruise on by. The original trading post has just lost all its old charm. Years ago you could go in and visualize Pancho Villa coming across the river for supplies. Now its a golf cart full of yuppie tourists.

The road out of Presidio used to be narrow and no shoulders as soon as you hit the city limits. Now it has been "improved".

We did have a funny time down at the site where the John Wayne movie was filmed. We took a huge John Wayne fan with us and he just cralled all over the site and did not want to leave. After finally getting him back to the bike and listening to all his John Wayne accolades, one of our bunch told him, "You know his real name was Marion and he was a homosexual."

That brought about quite a nice chase scene on its own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the article. In fact, I told my wife that we need to go by that way on next year's trip from CA to TX to visit our daughter in Dallas. A little out of the way, but what the heck!

How is the latest incarnation of Clay Henry doing? I've bought them a few beers in the past...

Planning our next trip to Big Bend for this coming February... Kerrville/Hill country on the way out from Houston, Fort Davis loop, River road and a visit with Clay Henry, stay in the Basin, hit the Starlight Cafe for dinner in Terlingua, Gage Hotel on the way back for an early morning breakfast... Good times. Big Bend is one of my favorite riding areas in Texas.