FJR Camping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
I am planning a trip into Colorado soon that will take about 10 days. I am going to attempt to camp, but this will be my first camping trip on my FJR and wanted to ask how much crap some of you more experienced camping types have managed to stow-away on you Yamaha. And dare I ask what your favorite method of securing your gear might be?

I am asking this because I want to avoid taking more stuff than I will realistically need.

Any advice, comments or otherwise suggestions would be appreciated.

I have camped a lot via two wheels, but that was when I rode a Gold Wing and was able to carry way more stuff than I ever needed.

Not sure just where I should post this, but since it pertains how much can be carried on an FJR, this looks as good as any.

I have done two-up camping with my wife on our FJR. Sidebags for clothes (one each), topcase for community gear (tent, stove and some food), thermarests and sleeping bags strapped on top of the topcase and tankbag for liquor ;)

If you are one up then you have the whole back seat and second saddlebag to carry stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Motofizz Seat Bag, from the Aerostich/Riders Warehouse guys. It holds all my camping gear and attaches securely to the bike. (NOTE: securely here means that it doesn't move around [at all]; it does not mean it is secure from tampering during stops. See this thread for a discussion of ways to help secure a seat bag from tampering.)

I have the large size, but the medium is probably big enough for most solo riders, but the large gives you plenty of extra space for overflow from others riding with you.

Here's a photo of my large bag mounted on my '05, at the Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake:

fjrmotofizz.jpg

I did the first four months of my road trip with the following configuration:

2764788810_bcdfc29887_m.jpg

Left side bag: Toiletries, electronic chargers and sundries. (Later added an Asus Netbook to this bag)

Right side bag: Clothes. Since I was traveling for an indefinite time, I had everything from thermals to business casual outfits.

Duffel bag attached to the passenger seat with a cargo strap: Backpacking tent, sleeping bag, therma-rest, cold weather gear and my knife bag (I'm a cook...). I always made sure to pack the sleeping bag and therma-rest up toward me so I had a cushy backrest.

Medium sized bag strapped behind the duffel: Backpacking stove, 1qt saucepan, coffee cup, various road snacks and 2 days worth of dinners (usually some sort of pasta packet and a can of tuna or chicken to throw in it).

I camped 3 or 4 days and then caught a hotel one night to get off the ground. This all worked pretty well, but doing it long term gets old. Thus my new configuration:

Getting on the road in the morning after installing a Dauntless hitch to pull my recently acquired Aspen Sentry (thanks to all the folks who posted up on the several towing threads for the great info). I'm very much looking forward to not sleeping on the ground. I have so much room now, I'm trying to decide what, if anything, to put in the side bags. :yahoo:

I have the Yamaha top case so that alone gives me a lot of space,but when I go for over two weeks the Ortleib dry duffel from Aerostitch sure comes in handy.

It also gives me enough space to take an air mattress and pump...sure makes it comfy.

I'll mount up my camping rig on the bike for CFR and snap some pics for the world to see and criticize this weekend. I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I've done a bunch of camping and canoe trips, but never on the bike.

I can just see me now.. pulling into some campground for the night after an 750 mile day. Laying out the tent, no poles, pegging one corner down, throwing my sleeping bag inside and then me crawling in on top of it and falling fast asleep - looking for all the world like a bear had its way with the tent. Its not the IronButt motel, but it'll be damn close.

All of my camping gear fits in a Seal Line duffle bag, except my Thermarest (I bought the wide jobbie) and my camp chair. I've already tried it out on the bike and so long as remember to put the sleeping bag at the front, I'll have a kick ass backrest for the boring bits.

DSC_2111.jpg

1 bag has clothing, 1 has camping supplies, tent and bag on the seat in weather proof bags. Backbox is for things you need on a regular bassis like camera, snacks, sunscreen. I've since added a Bagster for even more packing space. Not that I really need to carry any more.

I am asking this because I want to avoid taking more stuff than I will realistically need.
Any advice, comments or otherwise suggestions would be appreciated.
Oh Boy = opening a can of worms!

Well, I generally always take too much stuff! But I'd rather have it and not use it, than miss it because I didn't bring it!

Here's a few of things I cannot camp without.

Water.

A machete, not a hatchet!

Some really decent tent stakes and NOT the flimsey aluminum or plastic types. Titanium ones are the best!

An igniter, a pot, a one cup drip style coffee funnel, a cup, and a single burner butane stove, oh...and ground coffee!

Be sure and pack something for 1st aid, wet, wind, cold, heat, insects, noise, and vermin.

Choose a campsite that is away from children, and secluded, but Not too secluded.

Bring some string, a candle, a pocket knife, and a sewing kit, you already have earplugs, and... always make a check of altitude before you set up camp.

DOH, I gotta stop before this turns into a mega list!

Stuff it ALL in a big Duffle along with the sleeping bag, tent etc.

For the duffle, I use a waterproofed atheletic gym bag by Dakine. See Avatar.

I can't swing my leg over a bag that takes up rear seat, so I use a luggage platform to strap it onto aft of the pillion.

I also use the Large Motofizz and you can also use it with the top case.

I recently did a long trip in Florida. I must caution you on overloading the FJR. The passenger handholds are not meant for any stress. Be careful when strapping to these because they are made of plastic and have no reinforcement! Also the rear "luggage rack" has a capacity of 9 pounds and Yamaha means no more! Don't ask me how I know.

Thanks to everyone that offered their advice. With the suggestions and the pictures, I now know for sure that with a little experimentation, I can carry anything I need. My concern was how much I could trust the passenger hold bars because I had wondered whether they had any reinforcement or if they were just plastic. The best bet for using as a tie-down point will be the rear foot peg brackets.

Once loaded down, I'll share my decided upon method with the group!

Thanks again!

I did a trial run today of my CFR Camping outfit. Rode 450km up to Manitoulin Island (largest freshwater island in the world).

Rode with the fastest Harley bagger in existance (no shit, it was in fast company and kept up), a Suzuki C90, a done up Roadstar (pistons, cams etc) and not one, but TWO brand spanking new VMax's (trust me, this bitches are brutes!)

Anyway, pics...

The entire camp kit, thermarest, chair, tent, sleeping bag, cook kit and misc stuff in the dry duffle.

DSC00245.jpg

My view out the mirrors is the ends of my camp chair.. gonna have to fix that before the trip.

DSC00246.jpg

I'm gonna buy some new straps, these were cheapies, and I just don't trust them. BTW, putting the sleeping bag at the toward the front makes for a NICE backrest when you one hand the bike. Doesn't touch me otherwise.

DSC00247.jpg

Bad boys, bad boys, watcha gonna do when the come for you. (Seriously, 50mph and they light up the back tire!)

IMG_0262.jpg

Stopped for some grub at the Red Dog in Whitefish Falls on the trip home.

IMG_0264.jpg

I'll try to keep this short. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

One of the reasons I/we bought the FJR was it ability to haul camping stuff. Our approach was NOT to carry our food with us but rather ro buy it locally.

Before we had a rear lauggage rack with back rest from Gary:

In the passenger seat:

We packed a small duffel bag with a small two person tent from Walmart, an inflatable one layer air mattress w/ foot pump, two $0.99 emergency blankets (one to cover the bike and one to cover stuff; they also are very reflective for emergencies or to keep things from heating up), a hatchet(to drive tent stakes, split wood and as a defensive weapon), one flashlight (self charging), a 10 x 10 heavy duty tarp (for sun, wind or rain cover),several pieces of nylon laundry cord (various lenghts) plus one 15 foot tie down strap unit (the cord and strap are used to secure tarp and for a laundry lline), a Swiss army knife and a hand full of clothes pins. The bag was secured to the bike with velcro straps, (I like velcro cause I can tighten it down and know it will stay tight). On top this bag I secured my old styled full sized sleeping bag(someday I buy one of those super compressable hiker bags), again used velcro straps to secure to duffel bag. BTW the velcro straps can be used later to secrue things in the camp.

In the hard bags:

One was for my clothes( I am sure you know the drill...think layers and a hooded sweat shirt), first aid kiit, sun screen & OFF, towel, wash cloth, asprin, ear plugs and personal effects.

The other contained emergency rations: granola bars, water, instant oatmeal, instant coffee, instant milk, peanut butter, jelly, a steel bowl, a steel mug, big spoon, a fork, a kinfe, matches in water tight container, TP(bears don't need it but I like using it) and emergency cash. Plus my wet gear.

On top of the hard bag I bunggie corded and strapped a folding camp chair.

After two years we have changed out our small tent for one in which we can stand up in (it rains almost everytime we go camping). Check out Eureka tents. Got best price off Amazon .com . Our tent is the Sunrise 9. It has larger poles then most, heavier material, good ventilation ever when raining plus netS to store small items like ear plugs, flash lights eyeglasses, wallet, etc. It was a little too big for our our duffel bag so we got a JUMBO dry bag. We secure the dry bag to the rack with velcro straps.We also upgraded to a double layered air mattress for two reasons: one, so much more comfotable and two, should water get in the tent the bedding is high above the floor. The mattress and my sleeping bag go on the passenger seat. I did this for back support. You could mess with placement given the nine pound rule for the rack.

The dry bag is that high visiblity yellow for added visibility.

I also now carry with me a Leatherman WAVE. The evolutionary step up from the Swiss army knife.

Even fully loaded I notice no difference is handling. I cruised at 90+ last summer and had no problems with the load shifting.

For security... I rent guard dogs when I can... other than that I pick my parking places carefully. I have noticed that my velcro straps baffle people.

Rick :)

Bad boys, bad boys, watcha gonna do when the come for you. (Seriously, 50mph and they light up the back tire!)
IMG_0262.jpg
At first glance, I thought maybe you had packed these. :dribble:

I would never want to try to ride one of those in anything other than a straight line. But damn, what a fun straight line it would be.